Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

50K service report... (Think I'm glad I only have 47.8K on the clock.) (Long again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50K service report... (Think I'm glad I only have 47.8K on the clock.) (Long again)

If you want, skip ahead to the questions at the end:

Took my car in to have a couple SOP's installed, did 50 K at service writers suggestion - I was due for oil change. I made sure I could bring it back if I found something else.

On the writeup - "50K service per maintenance schedule". And all that's listed is the Oil change. Oh, it says ZVP-000-600 Top Fluid.
Whatever. They found nothing wrong? I don't believe it. I can't even tell they actually did a 50 K type inspection. So I'm going to my indie in a little while.

Complaints they couldn't fix:
1. False Oil Min light indicator - 'Could Not Duplicate'.
2. Air compressor cycles more often - "No Faults Found for self leveling system. Car operating to manufacturer's specs."
3. Passenger Turbo making metallic rasp under full load. 2nd time I brought this up. "Checked for air leaks in turbo system using VAG 1687. No leaks found. Car operating to manufacturer's specs."

QUESTION 1: I know my turbo's going. I can 'make the sound' whenever I want when the car is warm. Is this a case of having to wait until it pops (and I'm stranded) to get it fixed?

QUESTION 2: I feel like my alignment is off since I got it back. I wonder if the tech hit something while trying to hear my turbo problem. Shouldn't they check the alignment before the End of the 50?

QUESTION 3: Does 'Car operating to manufacturers specs' mean, 'Not broken... yet'???

Oy. At least I got a dangerous '06 A4 Tip loaner to nearly kill myself in. (see previous re: tip lag)
Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some answers..

50K is not an inspection it never was nor will it ever be. It is simply the last of the paid maint. visits and the end of your new car warranty.

Most of us believe strongly in getting an indy inspection prior to the 50K end of the waranty. An indy and $100.00 is a wise investment of time and $ if something is found. Mine found some light oil stains at the rear seals. The dealer never would see these without being told to look. The dealer fixed them.

As far as everything else..the dealer is right...if there is no symptom: codes, leaks, noise..they can't go any further as AoA won't pay them to search beyond a scan..or an ear/eye exam.

When it comes to a special noise like your turbo its up to US to take the tech for a ride and duplicte it. How can they duplicate is noise you hear and only under a certain condition? You have to make the condition present for them.

The alignement is not covered except for the first 15K or if related parts are replaced. Its not likely the dealer did anything other than hit a pot hole or a curb. Looking at the turbos won't efect the alignment. Replacing them does and includes an alignment as part of the procedure.

'Car operating to manufacturers specs' is just that...there is no deviation from the "normal" noticed...either by code or operation. Again you have to spoon feed these guys in ordrer to help them do their job.

Get to your indy for a through inspection then back to the dealer for a test drive with you at the wheel.

FYI..if you doubt what the 50K entails..its in your book.

Good Luck... :-)
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Level headed as always...

I let frustration get the better of me and hit the rant button. Ranting at the system - it ain't broke you cant fix it. I've been treated very well at my dealership.

I've actually taken the same tech on test drives - twice!

Time one: You hear that? Tech: No. sounds like tire noise.

2nd: There! you hear that? It's easier for me to do. Tech: Oh, yeah, around 4000 to 4500 rpms. It's very slight. I'll talk to my shop foreman and see what he says, but I don't know man.

I was partly joking about the alignment. It's a pretty funny image - the tech doing third gear roll ons on surface streets with his head down near the center console trying to hear whats coming from the passenger footwell! I probably just need to check my tire pressures. Dealer alwasy seems to set them 'around' 31psi when I take it in.

THanks for the calming words - I'll look in the book for the 50 k write up.- I hadn't thought of that!..

Trip to the indie for an inpection is definitely in the offing. They're supposed to be making me a custom order short shifter and getting me Sparco tab pedals anyway. Big Grin : ))
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Default addendum: Why I'm so antsy about the turbo noise:

I really want to chip this thing, but I know the instant I do it, lady karma will pop the turbo. I really want to avoid flashing it, then unflashing it to take to the dealer, then flashing it again.

So, I'm sorta waiting for the turbo to go. It's covered till 100K.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A boost leak and hard driving when the engine's cold will pop that turbo as fast as chipping it will

...there's lots of places that can leak boost in these engines.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM

Default It might be worth it to have your indie test for any oil leaks as my oil min light when on, I even

had to add oil and that was shortly after 50k so the cam seals may have been leaking even at that point...if you don't have a good extended warranty it would be well worth the cost of the test (mine was about $100). Just a thought and I understand the rant, but mine was away for 3 weeks and I missed it so much I take it back
Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Typical...Did the service writer record (specificly) any of the concerns...

that you listed. Back in the VW days I discovered that the service writers did not like to document concerns. They prefered to give the tech a verbal and then give me a verbal diagnosis. If your concern is documented you have a leg to stand on. The tech will be more likely to address the concern and you have recourse if the concern surfaces again. I just had my tech pull the skid plate off and went over the bottom of the car with a fine tooth comb. I'm sure I'll get an indy by next month too.

That's my opinion and I'm stick'n to it....I think.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:19 AM

will do, thanks. I have the CPO till 2009 or 100K.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM

Yep. It's all in the computer.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Default ...

................................................!

Quick Reply: 50K service report... (Think I'm glad I only have 47.8K on the clock.) (Long again)