Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

6sp transmission mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grat
on the 034 mount (I've never seen the RS4 mount so I can't speak to it) the top part that mounts to the tranny arm, is isolated by rubber from the bottom ears. This is the drawings I threw together so Javad & Brian would know what I was talking about. This is not to scale, my understanding of how it is put together, etc, etc. cross section is 90 deg from the ears (left to right on the car).

with stop mount

(actually I think the stop mount is wider than I show here, unsure as I've never seen one)

only way this would pull out is if the engine torque rolled it upwards (or car went inverted) plus you would have to pull the engine mount apart as well.

unlikely event.

Javad's response:
The factory mounts that use this style mount do use a "cupped washer" as you suggest, part # 431 399 291. We do not supply or suggest this piece is required to be used, however, you are more than welcome to use it, they are readily available at your local dealer.

In the event of a catastrophic failure of the mount, the cup would provide a form of mechanical stop, but in 4+ years of running these mounts in everything under the sun, we've never seen anything close to a failure like that.

Thanks,

Javad Shadzi
034Motorsport

fj..
Wow, I just love diagrams. I'm sure that the RS4 mount is extremely similar in form & function with perhaps a different rubber compound between the inner and outer pieces of aluminum. Now after seeing this diagram it looks like this washer serves really no purpose except to retain the inner rubber from falling out in little chunks if it ever starts cracking & falling apart. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

on the 034 mount (I've never seen the RS4 mount so I can't speak to it) the top part that mounts to the tranny arm, is isolated by rubber from the bottom ears. This is the drawings I threw together so Javad & Brian would know what I was talking about. This is not to scale, my understanding of how it is put together, etc, etc. cross section is 90 deg from the ears (left to right on the car).

with stop mount

(actually I think the stop mount is wider than I show here, unsure as I've never seen one)

only way this would pull out is if the engine torque rolled it upwards (or car went inverted) plus you would have to pull the engine mount apart as well.

unlikely event.

Javad's response:
The factory mounts that use this style mount do use a "cupped washer" as you suggest, part # 431 399 291. We do not supply or suggest this piece is required to be used, however, you are more than welcome to use it, they are readily available at your local dealer.

In the event of a catastrophic failure of the mount, the cup would provide a form of mechanical stop, but in 4+ years of running these mounts in everything under the sun, we've never seen anything close to a failure like that.

Thanks,

Javad Shadzi
034Motorsport

fj..
Look at this mount with the holes in it, probably why you need the stop mount/washer. The mount in your picture doesn't have the holes. I don't even think the rs4 mounts have those holes, but the stop mount washer would distribute some of the stress to the outer portion of the rubber instead of concentrating on the weaker center section.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skidmark
Look at this mount with the holes in it, probably why you need the stop mount/washer. The mount in your picture doesn't have the holes. I don't even think the rs4 mounts have those holes, but the stop mount washer would distribute some of the stress to the outer portion of the rubber instead of concentrating on the weaker center section.
Hadn't seen one of these before. Seeing it, it makes sense that the 034 is a lot stronger (and stiffer) So is this mount from an allroad? if so curious as to what year? (or when/why they changed from the fluid filled on my '02)

For completeness of this thread, I modified the drawing I did to closer reflect the real mount. I threw together the first one from memory, so Javad and Brian would know what I was talking about. I hadn't really intended on publishing it. The raised rubber ring/buttons were in the wrong place and the stop mount, from discussion and drawings, appears to be larger so that it acts as a mechanical stop (thus the name, I guess) in the event it flexes (or breaks) upwards.

fj..
Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hadn't seen one of these before. Seeing it, it makes sense that the 034 is a lot stronger (and stiffer) So is this mount from an allroad? if so curious as to what year? (or when/why they changed from the fluid filled on my '02)

For completeness of this thread, I modified the drawing I did to closer reflect the real mount. I threw together the first one from memory, so Javad and Brian would know what I was talking about. I hadn't really intended on publishing it. The raised rubber ring/buttons were in the wrong place and the stop mount, from discussion and drawings, appears to be larger so that it acts as a mechanical stop (thus the name, I guess) in the event it flexes (or breaks) upwards.

fj..
It was a picture of an a4 mount I found on the internet.