Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Advice needed on dealer CPO issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on dealer CPO issue

my 2.7T is currently at the dealer for "a burning oil smell," possibly from the oil cam tensioners. The burining oil smell is very noticable to me. My indy had already diagnosed the source of the burning oil smell as the oil cam tensioners (known weak point on the 2.7T engine). The dealer says the the car is not burning or leaking oil. I politely asked them to take another look, as the burning oil smell is undenable.

The dealer is having another tech take a look at it, but I know my Indy is rock solid (they showed me exactly where they are leaking). I've already suggested that they recheck the oil cam tensioners and I'm awaiting a response.

Any suggestions for the dealing with the anticipated impass? So far I've been happy with this dealer's service and I do not think taking it to another dealer will do any good.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer quality of staff...

It comes down to the quality of the "writter" at the dealer he has to believe the symptom exists.

Take him by the hand and show him the drip and the smoke rising from your engine. To do this make sure you engine is HOT and that you smell the burn. Then keep the engine running while you are getting the writter. Once he is outside the car, shut it down and then open the hood.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Call AoA, tell them that the problem was diagnosed by an independent mechanic,

have them send a AoA rep to the dealer to verify the problem.

I had a similar situation where my CV joints were bad (vibration, leaking oil, etc) the dealer said they were fine. The thing that dealers hate the most is getting calls from AoA on incomplete/improper service work.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, I'll try Paulroad's approach first as it is more diplomatic.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 AM

Ditto, plus make sure to note that if they are leaking in that area it never hits the ground!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good point --- I have to ask them how they determined the car is not burning oil.

my indy indicated the leak is very minor at this point, but I do want to get it fixed while still under CPO contract.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Tell them you had to add a little oil...mine went from smelling bad to taking me down to

the oil light coming on one night in the rain (why does it always happen at the worst times) in a very short time frame.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually, I got the oil changed one weeksago at my Indy and dealer says I was 1/2 quart low

they said it's possible that the Indy didn't fully top it off.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I second paul

If you can let it sit over night (let the oil leak on to manifold) then run it like a bastard for 10 minutes, shut it off and open the hood. I bet you will see smoke rising. 1/2 quart is nothing to sneeze at. You should be able to make him see the light or at least smell it.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Default I doubt it...if anything they usually overfill it...if you're a 1/2 quart low, better

than a quart low I'd go with that as your clincher...good luck.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on dealer CPO issue