Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air Box Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box Mod

I read a couple threads on the K&N Filters which seem to present some challenges regarding to leaking and do not seem to be strongly suggested for the AR.

I also own a motor cycle, many people with this particular biek (including myself) modified the airbox by cutting a 3x3 inch hole in the top of it. This in addition to new jets add a significant amount of power but also allows you to run the stock filter.

1) Has anyone cut holes in their airbox to allow their AR to breath better?
2) Would making a mod like this really do much since it seems as though those that did do the K&N Filter did not really notice a difference?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea there are a few folks that have done this.
they call it a darintake mod
cut holes in the bottom of the airbox instead of the top

a recommended alternative to a k&n filter is one of these s-flo intake
but stock also works great too from what ive read if you dont want something like that
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind our intake is a Cold Air Intake. The main openiing for the inlet is facing the front of the car between the hood and the radiator.

Any holes in the airbox will bring in WARMER ENGINE BAY AIR. The benfit of some added volume versus the warmer air may not be the result you think.

K&N filters generally do not filter as finelyt as the stock filter. With turbos, you need as fine a filter as possible. No crap hitting the impeller.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replys, think I'll leave mine stock.

I had seen a episode of Wheeler Dealer in which they put the K&N on a 325 and talked highly of it, I also remembered I modded my motorcycle and realized I had not seen many posts here regarding a AIR mod figured it would be something related to the Turbo....thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paulroad
keep in mind our intake is a Cold Air Intake. The main openiing for the inlet is facing the front of the car between the hood and the radiator.
The stock intake is not only a cold air intake, it's a ram air intake, and ventilating the airbox would likely result in less (and warmer) airflow through the filter at highway speeds. This won't show on a dyno unless the dyno is in a wind tunnel, but for real life use, the stock intake is going to be tough to beat.