Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

air compressor fix/relocation

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default air compressor fix/relocation

if your air compressor is getting weak try at your own risk, wd-40 it first, a few good long spray shoots into the compessor intake. then let it run for a cycle up to 4th height. decompress suspension down to 1, then take 2-3 cap full worth of high grade compressor oil into the intake.

also, i relocated the oem pump into the spare wheel well. made custum barbed fittings from pump to controll head, and made a few splices here and there and came up with a good splice method for the air lines.

also, during a trial run, i disconnected the level controll modual in the trunk while in 4th height, a went for a leak check drive. she stayed in 4th height at any speeds.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely experiment a lot with your car, which is interesting. I just don't understand the point of most of the things you do.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by choptt
if your air compressor is getting weak try at your own risk, wd-40 it first, a few good long spray shoots into the compessor intake. then let it run for a cycle up to 4th height. decompress suspension down to 1, then take 2-3 cap full worth of high grade compressor oil into the intake.

also, i relocated the oem pump into the spare wheel well. made custum barbed fittings from pump to controll head, and made a few splices here and there and came up with a good splice method for the air lines.

also, during a trial run, i disconnected the level controll modual in the trunk while in 4th height, a went for a leak check drive. she stayed in 4th height at any speeds.
It stays at a consistent height regardless of speed, with the level control module disconnected. Interestiinngggg..
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Putting the pump into the spare wheel well is a good idea, that's what Audi should have done. I just changed out my pump a few days ago....and I was thinking the same thing....move it "indoors" and get it out of the elements. I commend you for your efforts....and your bravery! If it weren't for people like you blazing a trail....guys like me would never attempt half of the repairs we do. Thank You.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how choptt experiments and informs the rest of us of tweaks that can be made to our vehicle's. I thank him for that, but relocating the pump to the interior will not extend it's life significantly.

It is already in a protected location and sucks filtered air. Temp variations are more extreme than being inside, but the rest is not much different. The big killer of the pump is time and use. Air leaks will kill it in no time by making it run, and overheat, too much. Fixing air bags and line leaks right away will do the most good. The piston in the pump has a fiber type piston ring that eventually wears out and degrades regardless of outside climate. Oil and lube will help extend a failing one a bit, but needs replacement to be fixed correct.

I would think that a interior location would be beneficial for servicing and help with life, but increased noise would be a negative.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is also the beer can mod. My personal fav.

Thinking I will try this out soon!

Look it up. You basically do the inverse of boring out the compressor cylinder. Instead you line it with a beer can!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got a used OEM compressor for sale, let me know if interested.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
Can you ship the compressor to Israel?
If so,Please tell me the quote include shipping.
Thanks
Amiram.