Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air leak after installing new Arnott's

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air leak after installing new Arnott's

Hi
I just installed a new pair of front GenII Arnott bags, after living with leaks for a long time.
I found the instructions rather easy to follow, so happy after about 3 hours, finally got them both installed. Surprisingly it took a long time to inflate the bags, and really struggled to get it to L2, and never above that. My air compressor needs replacing as well (is making loud rattling noise everthing it turns on), but thought it could survive a little longer. Let it run for a couple of days, but really struggled keeping the desired level. The compressor constantly shut off due to overheating.
Uncertain if I had tighten the upper bolts correctly, decided to dissasemmble the whole thing tighten the six hex bolts carefully and evenly and then put everything back together (only a little over 2 hours this time). This time got a better result. Right after re-assembling it, I managed to take it all the way to L4. I was happy thinking that the problem was solved. Few hours after completing the task, the level lights started blinking, the air compressor started working, and eventually, again, shut off due to overheating.
I'm wondering if anybody has had a problem like this? Could it be the air compressor, so bad that couldn't hold the air pressure? What else could be the problem? I checked Arnott's instructions, they don't mention a specific torque to tighten the top bolts.
Appreciate any suggestion
Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first guess would be an air line leak. Most likely at the connection where there is a compression ring. When installing mine the compression ring slipped right into the spring and had to be fished out.
Of course, the only correct way to determine where the leak is, would be to spray some soapy water all over everything and look for the "beard" of tiny bubbles.
Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Trackballcr
I checked Arnott's instructions, they don't mention a specific torque to tighten the top bolts.

Mr. Bentley specifies a torque of 17 ft. lbs. for those six bolts that tie the airspring assembly together. They're kind of like wheel bolts. You should torque around and around repeatedly to make sure they're tightened evenly.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trackballcr
Hi
Could it be the air compressor, so bad that couldn't hold the air pressure? What else could be the problem? I checked Arnott's instructions, they don't mention a specific torque to tighten the top bolts.
Might all be the air compressor and it can't put out enough psi to lift the car. Does the car sag when sitting? Try putting it into 'jack mode' overnight and see if it drifts down. This will tell you whether it is a leak or compressor issue. New compressor from Arnott is only $350 after discount.

Off topic, but how do you like the Gen II's? Did you do shocks as well? I've got a set of Gen I's + Bilstein's in the mail to be installed this weekend. Thought Gen II's might be too harsh for the family cruiser, but wasn't sure.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 11-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Off topic, but how do you like the Gen II's? Did you do shocks as well? I've got a set of Gen I's + Bilstein's in the mail to be installed this weekend. Thought Gen II's might be too harsh for the family cruiser, but wasn't sure.
I really like the feel, when properly inflated of course. A lot more stable than the originals, not too soft, not to hard. I did only the bags, so not sure how much will change with new bilsteins.
Just waiting to get the new compressor, and get done with the leak, so I can get back to driving the way this machine was meant to be.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you absolutely certain that the large o-rings you installed at the top of the air spring are properly lubricated with non-petroleum grease? And that the surface it compresses against was clean and smooth?

My indy did not properly prepare the mating surface at the top of the shock tower, and he used the wrong o-rings, and he did not lubricate the o-ring. The car slowly dropped overnight just as if there was a leak in the air spring bag.

Once I disassembled the system, cleaned up the surfaces, installed the o-rings Arnott provided, and lubricated the surfaces, everything worked fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What Mr. T says. I applied a solvent and scrubbed with a Scotchbrite pad to get the O-ring grooves and mating surfaces clean. Used Lithium grease on everything.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
What Mr. T says. I applied a solvent and scrubbed with a Scotchbrite pad to get the O-ring grooves and mating surfaces clean. Used Lithium grease on everything.
Lubrication is what I think I miss. I did clean it up, thou.
I'll disassemble again, lubricate, tight to the appropriate torque and put it back together. Really thank for advise and hope doing all this do the trick. Compressor is on it's way.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default no problem with arnott

three years ago- arnott compressor
two years ago- arnott rear airbags
one year ago- arnott front air bags and all four bilstein shocks
got a 4-wheel alignment (shop) and all is well, did everything in the driveway with minimal tools, didnt even bother to use my torque wrench, just made it all tight, front pinch bolts are a PITA

-during winter, height sensors can get gummed up with snow/ice

-height sensor was not in correct spot on right-front suspension arm and it caused uneven wear to tires and car to sit incorrectly

-4-wheel alignment made significant difference after i replaced suspension
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default follow arnott instructions

i wiped off dirt/grime with paper towel but nothing fancy, followed arnott instructions and it was fine

Quick Reply: Air leak after installing new Arnott's