Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air springs again, new discovery, maybe they aren't leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air springs again, new discovery, maybe they aren't leaking...

After a few months of testing the suspension at all different levels, both rears will leak at all levels, all the time. Driversi de front will leak occasionally.

I accidentally left the car in jack mode and NOTHING leaked! Even for a whole week. It normally leaks over night. For those of you that understand the air suspension and the routing of the air lines/manifold better than I do, does this mean that my air springs are good and don't leak??? If the air springs are really leaking, then they should leak in jack mode right?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My driver's side rear airspring had a leak, and yes, it leaked in jack mode too.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, if the air springs are really leaking, then they should leak in jack mode.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

According to both your answers, my air springs are still good. What else could be leaking?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I bet Paul has insight, but the jack mode might close a valve or two that could be faulty on your

car. Perhaps such a faulty valve causes your leaks, not a spring itself.

Can I start a movement to promote use of the term "air spring" here rather than air bag? Am I just persnickety?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Default this of course does beg the question.....

Am dealing with the slipping clutch AND the air spring purchase issue. The clutch is a no brainer, however before the purchase of two springs (can't figure out which of the front is leaking) perhaps it is not the springs at all.
Can the dealer types or indy shops pin point the problem before the outlay of cash? Seems like this spring issue should be a dedicated web site all its own.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If I recall correctly, the air bags could be in a position in which they don't leak...

I guess part of the bag could be folded over in such a way to prevent the leak?

Just an thought...

Regards,
Gavin
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can't always tell the side since the whole front will collapse if one corner fails

to support its share of weight. Use a leak test of soapy water or a commercial leak test spray fluid to find which one is the culprit. Search here, someone posted a how-to on this. If it were me, I would go to level 4 and clean the bag of any muck. Then use the fluid, search for bubbles, drop each level to check for more and see. You get the idea. Buy parts from Riverside Audi, cheapest posted quote.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've checked on all levels while in jack mode...

and not one corner collapses.

You are wrong about the whole front collapsing when one air spring is leaking. My front driver side will collapse at times but NOT the passenger side.

I've also tried the soapy water test and found no leaks. I figure it was so small and so slow of a leak that it just didn't show bubbles.

What else can I check for leaks?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Our ar's front end dipped almost level when the left front went totally to the bump stops, so

I can only say that my comment was based only on a very limited sample with a high margin of error and questionable empirical value! LOL

Quick Reply: Air springs again, new discovery, maybe they aren't leaking...