Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension goes up and down each time I stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension goes up and down each time I stop

Hi guys. I hope my posts don't make me seem like too much of a whiner. I love the car but am just disappointed at how often this thing needs repairs. The air bags have about 20k on them. The pump (Mercedes) works great. Each time I stop at a stoplight, the front of the car adjusts itself. It usually goes up two inches or so, waits a second, then drops itself down slightly. Sometimes it goes from side to side. Does anyone know what this is? There are no warning lights and the mech can't find a code when running the Audi/VW VAG diagnostics. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like the normal self adjustment of the suspension. The front end probably isn't raising then lowering...It's raising then the rear end is adjusting which gives the feeling the front end is lowering.

The car height is adjusting all the time. What ride height setting are you running in? If you're in the 3rd setting, the adjustment will be more drastic than if in the 2nd setting. Once you drop below a certain speed, the car will raise itself back up to the 3rd setting.

If you're running in level 3 and it bugs you (it bugged me), set it to level 2. There will be less travel up and down.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the explanation above.
on mine, most of the time it seems to do it more when the stop is harder.
just normal system operation.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine does it too, but subtly and that drives me crazy because I am never sure if it is really moving or my imagination. I do think 2 inches seems extreme, but how much it actually moves is hard to really measure
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on not knowing if I'm imagining it or not sometimes. I would stare at the front of the hood to see if it was moving...lol.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

mine as well....but the best is the look on other people's faces when they see the car go up/down at the lights.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its normal.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's normal.

Mine does it too.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 01ARinCO
Hi guys. I hope my posts don't make me seem like too much of a whiner. I love the car but am just disappointed at how often this thing needs repairs. The air bags have about 20k on them. The pump (Mercedes) works great. Each time I stop at a stoplight, the front of the car adjusts itself. It usually goes up two inches or so, waits a second, then drops itself down slightly. Sometimes it goes from side to side. Does anyone know what this is? There are no warning lights and the mech can't find a code when running the Audi/VW VAG diagnostics. Thanks for your help.

Can you get me the part # or the year and model of Mercedes for the pump you used. Mine may need replacing and I understand the Mercedes unit is more reliable and economical.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The Mercedes pump is the EXACT same pump as what is in the allroad, only cheaper when

you buy it from them because there's a lot more Benz's with air suspensions. You have to rework some of the tubing. Its a very easy repair. I paid $330. Purchased from Import Motors Bay Area on Ebay.
Item #180192983884
Mercedes part #A 211-320-03-04 or 211-320-00-04

Quick Reply: Air suspension goes up and down each time I stop