Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension manual override module.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension manual override module.

Well, i still don't have the car, but I have some questions I hope I can get some info on.

Based on what I have been reading, it seems that some sort of manual setting for the air suspension is a wished-for option. It makes sense to me and I agree that it would be cool if nothing else.

That being said I need some electrical information about the air system to begin planning a module.

- can anyone point me towards electrical schematics, particularly for the air suspension system? Like a Pinout of the control module, wiring and diagnostic information for the sensors, valves, compressor, etc.

- does the bently manual have decent information about this topic? I am getting the manual anyway, but curious ahead of time.

- does anyone have any dead components of the air system you wish to give away? I would gladly pay shipping. I would probably have interest in any electrical item of the air system except for the compressor. For sure I would like the suspension computer and the car side of the suspension computer harness (that's probably got to come from a wrecker. I don't think too many folks are into severing their harness. Lol) I would like to have the dash switch and any sensors the system uses. (height, pressure, whatever they sense)

I have "hijacked" air suspension systems in some Lexus vehicles in the past. It was very easy but the system was not as complicated. It only had 2 settings. Depending on how the audi system works, I may have to put in a micro controller to talk gently with the suspension computer which complicates things a fair bit.

Has anyone gotten deeper inside the brains of the suspension?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this manual override that you wish to achieve? Do you actually know what you're trying to solve?

If you mean to disable auto-leveling at high speeds (such as going down to L2 at 50 mph, and L1 at 85 mpg), what would be the benefit of this?

Or do you have something else in mind?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am happy with how the air suspension works in our AR however the one thing I will love to change is changing the speed limit on L4 from 20mph to 35mph. Hope someone with the know how cracks this.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
I am happy with how the air suspension works in our AR however the one thing I will love to change is changing the speed limit on L4 from 20mph to 35mph. Hope someone with the know how cracks this.
If height is all youre concerned with then the 402 mod will get you the result you need. Im sure there may be a way to reprogram the speed limits of the suspension, but readjusting the base ride height should bet you the same result. That and its been done a million times.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gearheadny.com
If height is all youre concerned with then the 402 mod will get you the result you need. Im sure there may be a way to reprogram the speed limits of the suspension, but readjusting the base ride height should bet you the same result. That and its been done a million times.
I am 402ed now and my L4 height is perfect for what I need. My wish is to get a permanent solution to riding in L4 past 20mph without dropping to L3 automatically. Yes, vag'ing before my trips to the northern snowy roads and then vag'ing back to 402 when I come back to the city can be a solution but wouldn't locking or increasing the L4 speed limit be a better approach to my situation? In my case I will like to be able to go a little faster than 20mph when I am riding on L4 that's all.

Last edited by jujuC6; 01-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, to manually override the automatic level settings based on speed.

And to set an auto-dump when the doors are locked remotely. (IE Leave the car, lock from remote, car drops to lowest level, then when unlocked up to a specific height/level. )And depending on how hard it would be on the air bags, to have this "park" level, much, much lower than level 1 )

I understand that running in lvl 4 faster than 20mph could be hard on the axles and such, but that's not a concern to me. At this time its probably not a feature I need, but with an override, others could do it if they wanted.

Actually, it would be really easy to just add a "height lock" feature. (Set to the level you want and hit a button to lock it there regardless of any other condition) It just depends on how the computer will react to what it thinks is happening. Based on the simplest design, the computer will probably go into limp mode. Will it automatically go out of limp mode if it sees all parameters come back to spec? Or is it then locked into limp mode til cleared with vag-com or otherwise?

But I also want to maintain the factory / automatic control when desired. Its easy enough to toss out the suspension computer and go full manual control all the time, but I want to switch between both.

I guess at this point, to simplify the end result(s) I would like to accomplish

- speed lock feature - set a height and have it stay there regardless of speed
- a "5th" level - Park level, lower than 1.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

WooHoo.

Read the documents on allroadfaq regarding the air suspension.

It contained a reasonable amount of information that has given me some ideas for some basic mods that may work with very little effort.

I noticed in there (then searched ebay)that some units have a "MAN" mode/light. Does anyone know the basis for which vehicles got that system? I have only been in a couple cars thus far and neither had this "MAN" light.

For those of you with excessive lowering, do you know what PSI are in the bags? This manual states a minimum required pressure... I wonder if running too low drops below the stated min.

But the document indicates each pin and function at a very basic level. It doesn't go into exact detail about the signals supplied by all the sensors but its enough to get started.

Do your cars have this "parking" level mode? It seems to bump UP to level 3 for parking? It is triggered by the door lock, but it raises instead of drops.

Based on the info in that document I have already devised a simple plan to try a speed-locked setting as well as a drop-when-locked setting.

Just need my car (errr... wifes car) to try it on Might be easier than I thought to accomplish.

Thanks allroadfaq!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I want to say that the 2001 and some 2002 models had the manual option for the suspension. I'm not too sure, though. I have an '03.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, this is a pic of the 02 incoming for my wife.....

no "MAN" lol.

Not that is affects my plans at all, but I was curious.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think it's simple at all to defeat automatic lowering at certain speeds, such as 22 mph for L4 > L3. You could write your own controller software and make it interface with the ECU and other systems, but somehow I don't think you'll do that.

If you want to drive faster in taller height, install IPP arms for each of the four sensors. L2 remain the same as stock L2, L1 is lowered by 12 mm, L3 is raised by xx mm. Essentiallt

Quick Reply: Air suspension manual override module.