Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air Suspension Problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Problem - HELP!

Guys,

I've been struggling with my air suspension for a few weeks now. Basically, the vehicle won't exceed level 1. If I try to go to level 2 or higher the pump basically times out due to excessive heat.

However, overnight the suspension does not drop at all. I have also checked for leaks and have not found anything. ie: if there is one, its likely very small.

About two weeks ago I added some hyd. tool oil to the inlet of the compressor and the suspension went up all the way to level 4 with no problems albeit very slow.

This lasted for about a week and its back to teh same. Now, during driving without touching the suspension settings, the pump times out and the system faults out.

I was originally thinking the compressor is not building up enough pressure even though it is still working but now I'm concerned with spending the $400 on a new compressor only to find out its the valve body potentially.

Any advice?
Any way to verify the pressure coming out of the compressor? is there a pressure specification.

I'm going to try adding some more oil to the inlet and report back.

I have had the codes read on teh vehicle and although I dont recall the exact codes they basically indicated that the vehicle had not reached the heat adn the compressor was disabled due to excessive heat.

Please help...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The pump may be the first place to start. If it's loud and there's an overheating code, then it could be the problem. I had a codes for headlight angle module over-heating and suspension manifold, and my pump ran a lot and was loud so I replaced it the that fixed my problem. A friend of mine at the dealer says it's prudent to replace the pump at the time when the front suspension airbags fail, as there's a valve on the pump that's prone to failure. So, depending on the age of your pump, it might be a good idea to treat it like a service part and just do it.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive had this problem too but it turned out to be the front bags which are usually the most common to go. You can check the bags with soapy water. lather the bag then look around it at level 4. if it bubbles you have a leak. the compressor will go if you neglect to check this for sure. If the bags are fine than its either the compressor or the valve unit next to it. (unlikely to be the valve though, if the car isnt sinking at night.)

There is a theory floating around that mercedes has the same compressor in one of their cars as the allroad. Im not positive but look into it because it supposed to be way less than what audi charges. As for the bags if those go, im a happy owner of the arnott gen 2 bags front and rear and their bilstein shocks. about 10,000 miles runs like a rally ride. plus they have a lifetime warranty. Way cheaper too!

www.arnottindustries.com

matt
Old 08-09-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ?

Originally Posted by ScarMcar
The pump may be the first place to start. If it's loud and there's an overheating code, then it could be the problem. I had a codes for headlight angle module over-heating and suspension manifold, and my pump ran a lot and was loud so I replaced it the that fixed my problem. A friend of mine at the dealer says it's prudent to replace the pump at the time when the front suspension airbags fail, as there's a valve on the pump that's prone to failure. So, depending on the age of your pump, it might be a good idea to treat it like a service part and just do it.
Replace a $600 compressor ... why? I hate to be a contrarian, but replacing a compressor because your front airbags went bad makes no sense.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well I have an update...

I got home tonight and removed the spare to gain access to the intake filter for the air compressor. I squirted about 10ml of air tool oil down the tube while the compressor was running and the sound of the compressor immediately changed (quieter).

From that point on, I managed to go from L1 to L2 to L3 to L4 w/ no problems other than it moved fairly slow. Once at L4 I sprayed the front bags with soapy water to see if there were any leaks and I couldnt find any. I'm going to leave it in L4 position and check heights in the morning.

Since this is the 2nd time that I add oil and have this outcome, I'm 99% certain now that that the root-cause of this problem is the compressor. Going to have to order one from Arnott this week.

Thanks for all the feedback
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

your problem compressor can be repaired. if you have some inginuity, you can take the cylinder off, see the piston, file off the nubs that are likely broken and have allowed the valve to shift and let air pass by. at the location of the nubs drill tiny holes and instal tiny steel rivets to hold it in place. this procedure costs about five dollars. arnott may be diong the same thing and chargin 400.00.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Arnott compressor I got was $225...like $238 to my door. Its not rocket science to re-build a simple air compressor like Audi uses. They warranty theirs too.

VERY easy to DIY remove/install...if you have a lift.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey torontoallroad,

if you wouldnt mind, the next time you poor oil down the filter of the compressor ( if you do), could you photograph it and post it, i would like to compare it to the set up on my allroad (i assume its the same i just want to check)

thanks

matt
Old 08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes, I'll post some pics...

I'm more than willing to rebuild my compressor if I had a rebuild kit. Unfortunately, from all the internet research that I have done, I have yet to come by one of those "rebuild" kits.

The last thing I want to do is tear down the compressor only to find out that there is nothing I can rebuild.
Does anyone have photos of the compressor disasembled?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This whole thread seems to have far more (mechanically) intelligent conversation than most "dropping allroad" threads. Congrats to all (or most). Anyone who has spent anytime floating on an inner tube down a river knows that when it loses air, it could be a tube leak, a valve stem leak, or a bad valve. MOst threads point immediately to the bags, without even checking for bubbles, ignoring the pump and valves.

Torontoallroad's problem of not raising is quite different than most of us (overnight lowering) I thought it was a very good troubleshooting idea to squirt oil in the compressor. In my mind this really narrows it down, and away from the bags..

In my own case, I have original bags on my '01 allroad with 185,000 km on the clock. I'm starting to get the dreaded overnight lowering (LF). I've done the whole soap bubble inspection at level 4 (high pressure) and I'm pretty sure the bags aren't leaking. (too bad, I'd like to buy Arnott series II with Bilsteins) I'm definitely going to look at the valve & compressor next. I rarely hear the compressor running, but my battery is low in the morning, so this seems to indicate that something is running.

bertible
01 audi C5 allroad 6 spd
04 BMW E46 325xit tip

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problem - HELP!