Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

air suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air suspension question

a silly question for the experts

i have an 04 allroad with 74k miles. these days, the suspension is almost always at level 1 if I don't use it for a couple of days - usually the front suspension - they are replaced in 2010 - but some time the left rear too

when i start up the car, the suspension light on the instrument panel flashes (yellow) and I can hear the compressor bring the suspension up and then the ride is fine.

assuming that the compressor gives out after this going on for a while, is it SAFE to drive the allroad at level 1? i.e. is the suspension at level 1 like any other car without an air suspension or are there other factors to consider from a SAFETY point of view?

i don't want to spend money fixing it because i want to replace my car in the next year - got the allroad new in 2004 and love it but it is requiring too much in upkeep since it went off warranty

thanks in advance for any advice
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "normal" level is level 2 but I drive mostly on level 1 with no adverse affects. There won't be anything that will wear out faster at level 1 or 2. It's when you try to drive at higher speeds at level 3 and 4 that things could wear out faster like CV joints and control arm bushings. We don't have to worry about that because the car will automatically drop as speed increases.

Also, if the compressor starts to go out you can just get the rebuild kit for about $60 and it's good as new.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

These are great cars/Avants when maintained (And yes, even if it takes a thousand or two, every year to do so). If the bags were replaced in 2010, were the O-Rings replaced as well? sometimes these little things are overlooked by the shop or person performing the replacements(Although not certain in your case), but the weather can also be a factor in airbag failure. The compressor could also be on it's way out and doesn't have the capacity(Time limited before it starts to overheat)to maintain the car on it's 4 feet so to speak. Best thing to do first and foremost is to Vag the allroad to check for codes, that way, you have a starting point into your airbag dilemma.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can drive in level one so long as you don't carry a full load most of the time. (depending on the severity of your air leak) You have an air leak problem. More load/weight or bumps will cause it to leak faster. At this time your compressor will be overworked trying to keep up the pressure. If you continue like this, overtime the compressor will wear out and cannot keep up anymore.

Replacing the rings (rebuilt kit) as the other forum member suggest will still cause overheating problems if the leak is bad. When the compressor gets too hot, it will shut down until the temperature is back to normal.

Since you will be riding in level 1, you will be closer to bottom-out than if you were in level 2 (normal level) so be careful.

If the suspension level warning light comes on in the dash, the level indicator lamp will still show level 1 even if the car is actually lower. If that is the case, then don't drive the car. (That is just my opinion)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

does the suspension light flash every morning when you get in to start the car? if so the car is sinking, this flashing error is telling you the car is below level 1 and the car is lifting to fix it, you will hear the compressor start up even with the ignition on but no engine running, so if this happens every time you get in the car, or at least every morning you have a leak, but it should also be noticable with the car sitting low when you walk up to it?

does it happen every time you get in to start it, or only mornings or other?

regards

Andy
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
does the suspension light flash every morning when you get in to start the car? if so the car is sinking, this flashing error is telling you the car is below level 1 and the car is lifting to fix it, you will hear the compressor start up even with the ignition on but no engine running, so if this happens every time you get in the car, or at least every morning you have a leak, but it should also be noticable with the car sitting low when you walk up to it?

does it happen every time you get in to start it, or only mornings or other?

regards

Andy
the suspension light flashes when the car has been idle for a few days and the car is sitting low as you mentioned. it does not happen every day - yet.

if the air bags are leaking and i dont fix them, can i drive the car at the lowest level with out any safety concerns - i.e. should the suspension work like that of a normal car without air suspension?

thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by P4Ring
You can drive in level one so long as you don't carry a full load most of the time. (depending on the severity of your air leak) You have an air leak problem. More load/weight or bumps will cause it to leak faster. At this time your compressor will be overworked trying to keep up the pressure. If you continue like this, overtime the compressor will wear out and cannot keep up anymore.

Replacing the rings (rebuilt kit) as the other forum member suggest will still cause overheating problems if the leak is bad. When the compressor gets too hot, it will shut down until the temperature is back to normal.

Since you will be riding in level 1, you will be closer to bottom-out than if you were in level 2 (normal level) so be careful.

If the suspension level warning light comes on in the dash, the level indicator lamp will still show level 1 even if the car is actually lower. If that is the case, then don't drive the car. (That is just my opinion)
i dont drive at level 1, i leave it in the automatic setting. if the bags are leaking and not fixed, will the suspension go below level 1? will that be a problem?

thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kkrar
i dont drive at level 1, i leave it in the automatic setting. if the bags are leaking and not fixed, will the suspension go below level 1? will that be a problem?

thanks
yes if the car sinks below level 1 while driving it eventually sits on the bump stops, this makes the car hard to drive and should only be driven to the side of the road or short distances very slowly as it is extremely bumpy and feels terrible inside. but for this to happen you need a big leak, your car seems to sink when parked for 3-4 days, this may be a small leak, however it depends at what level you parked at, just out or curiusity park at level 1 and see how long it takes to sink, Air bag leaks are at there worst at level 1 and if a small leak the car will sink overnight, if a larger leak parked at level 1 the car will noticibly sink after 1/2 hour or even less, what i am trying to qualify, and what I think you what to know is do you need to fix this before you sell it. well it depends on how bad the leak is, and how long you plan to keep it. it cannot be that bad a leak, as a big leak causes the compressor to run more, eventually overheating & puts the error light on while driving and eventually you then end up sitting at the side of the road waiting for it to cool so you can lift the front again, i dont think you have a large enough leak yet to find yourself at that stage yet.

however whatever happens the leak will get worse, leak faster, strain the whole suspension system ending up in a lot more cost and hassle at the side of the road, I suppose it depends how quick you plan to sell, + when selling the buyer may knock the price down when he sees it sinking!. The cost of airbag $450ish may save a lot of hassle later

regards

Andy
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
yes if the car sinks below level 1 while driving it eventually sits on the bump stops, this makes the car hard to drive and should only be driven to the side of the road or short distances very slowly as it is extremely bumpy and feels terrible inside. but for this to happen you need a big leak, your car seems to sink when parked for 3-4 days, this may be a small leak, however it depends at what level you parked at, just out or curiusity park at level 1 and see how long it takes to sink, Air bag leaks are at there worst at level 1 and if a small leak the car will sink overnight, if a larger leak parked at level 1 the car will noticibly sink after 1/2 hour or even less, what i am trying to qualify, and what I think you what to know is do you need to fix this before you sell it. well it depends on how bad the leak is, and how long you plan to keep it. it cannot be that bad a leak, as a big leak causes the compressor to run more, eventually overheating & puts the error light on while driving and eventually you then end up sitting at the side of the road waiting for it to cool so you can lift the front again, i dont think you have a large enough leak yet to find yourself at that stage yet.

however whatever happens the leak will get worse, leak faster, strain the whole suspension system ending up in a lot more cost and hassle at the side of the road, I suppose it depends how quick you plan to sell, + when selling the buyer may knock the price down when he sees it sinking!. The cost of airbag $450ish may save a lot of hassle later

regards

Andy
thank you for the detailed repines. if it is only $450, i would get the two front bags fixed and keep the car a couple of years - i love the car, got it new, has only 74k miles - but my dealer says it's $2600 (for two) - i live in Pittsburgh. can anyone recommend a good mechanic who can fix this at a reasonable cost? thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any dealer will charge way too much to fix air suspension problems, mostly because the OEM parts are very expensive. This is why you will read so much about Arnott parts on these forums - half the price of OEM and a lifetime warranty.

From reading your posts it definitely sounds like a leak, but may be hard to track down where from exactly. The air springs are the most likely culprits, but the lines or valve block could also be leaking. Leave the car in L2 and jack mode next time you park it for a few days, and see what happens.

I do most of my own work, but recently went to Fowler Automotive in Glenshaw for an inspection. They were very knowledgeable about Audis in general and the allroad as well so I would definitely consider them for work I don't want to do myself.

http://www.fastcoproductions.com/

Quick Reply: air suspension question