Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air in the system? clogged heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air in the system? clogged heater core?

I own a 2005 allroad quattro.

the heat coming out of my vents isn't as hot as it should be.

I have made attempts to bleed the system using tips on this website.

the higher the fan the cooler the air is. so on high fan the air isnt very hot but more just warm.

when trying to bleed the system i noticed the coolant doesn't shoot out of the bleed hole very much until after i stop revving the engine. i rev some more and the coolant slows down.

i then turn the car off and it pours out.

is this normal? does it make any sense? the upper hose is warm and the bleeder hole does confimr coolant is getting throught.

i haven't yet messed with the thermostats.

and i am about to use CLR to clean and flush out the heater core and I will post the updates from that.

but any thoughts on what could be the problem aside from what i have already tried?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Flush heater core and see how that improves things. If you had an issue with thermostat (stuck open for example) then along with such a condition you'd also notice temp gauge on dash NOT reaching proper operating temp. So my best advice, flush core and then report back.

Cheers!
Phil
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgt G
Flush heater core and see how that improves things. If you had an issue with thermostat (stuck open for example) then along with such a condition you'd also notice temp gauge on dash NOT reaching proper operating temp. So my best advice, flush core and then report back.

Cheers!
Phil
^^ There are a couple write ups on flushing the heater core but it is very easy to do. Took me about 30 minutes from start to finish and I got my heat back.

Of course, something from my heater core stuck the thermostat open so that's no fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok CLR made no difference. engine seems fine but not much pressure heater core. could there be a blockage somewhere else between the heater core and the engine?

i don't know much about the thermostates. i'm reading about theres 2 of them? can someone give more insight into the thermostat or whatever else I could try.

thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

does anyone have any info on the thermostats? a diagram, i'm having troubl locating them and now the lower hose to the heater core doesn't seem very hot.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you flush out the heater core like what this thread explains?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=G0to60

Try that first if you haven't already. Next, I don't think there is a thermostat just for the heater core. I know there is a blend valve or something similar that opens when you need heat. The engine thermostat is located at the front of the engine near the Passenger Side cam gear. The picture below shows the hole to the right of the cam gear where the thermostat goes. If that is your problem you'll have engine cooling (or warming) problems.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the photo, where is the blend valve and is there a way to fix it?

i will look at the link you provided and see if there is a step i missed.

thanks again
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is the one thing I'm not sure of. I would think that it is connected to the heater core hoses near the firewall but I could be wrong about that. There should also be a flapper in the air box behind the dash. That could also be having problems. I believe that you can check that with a VAG-COM but I'm not sure.

Here's a picture of the flapper (this is a C4 but it should be pretty similar):

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the heater core was clogged. a lot of rust particals came out when using a water hose. flushed it out good.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing that when you initially did the CLR you neglected to also flush the heater core a half dozen times (forward & reverse) ? Which you then replied here that the CLR didn't work. However, now that you've gone back and used a water hose to flush the heater core a few times releasing said rusted particles that the heat in your allroad now works great?

Regardless of the process, we're pleased with your success as I'm sure you are too. .

Cheers!
Phil