Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

airsuspension drops at 50mph but not at 90mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airsuspension drops at 50mph but not at 90mph

Hi There,

Maybe someone ask this before, but my english is not that well that i found that thread.

I have a problem with my 2002 2.7 ATM Allroad.. it won't drops at high speeds automaticly. when i drive 90 mph i can drop it by hand.
The first stage at 50mph works fine and drops automaticly
He has no fault code's and the rest of the system works fine.

i changed the front airsprings 6 month ago for airsprings from arnott and after that it has works fine till 2 weeks ago.

Hope someone can give me a good suggestion

Greetings

Remco
Netherlands
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klukje
...it has works fine till 2 weeks ago...
Are you saying that the drop to level 1 when you reached 90 MPH was working fine until two weeks ago?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi There,

Maybe someone ask this before, but my english is not that well that i found that thread.

I have a problem with my 2002 2.7 ATM Allroad.. it won't drops at high speeds automaticly. when i drive 90 mph i can drop it by hand.
The first stage at 50mph works fine and drops automaticly
He has no fault code's and the rest of the system works fine.

i changed the front airsprings 6 month ago for airsprings from arnott and after that it has works fine till 2 weeks ago.

Hope someone can give me a good suggestion

Greetings

Remco
Netherlands
IIRC, 01 & 02's drop to 1 around 80 as opposed to my 05 with does it around 90. In any event, it should certainly be dropping.

Did the 02's still have manual mode? Perhaps you've locked out L1? Have you scanned with VAGCOM?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
Are you saying that the drop to level 1 when you reached 90 MPH was working fine until two weeks ago?
Yes that's correct.. i don't know if it's exactly 90m/h aprox 125km/h , but the last stage of lowering by high speeds doesn't works automaticly.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 05allroad
IIRC, 01 & 02's drop to 1 around 80 as opposed to my 05 with does it around 90. In any event, it should certainly be dropping.

Did the 02's still have manual mode? Perhaps you've locked out L1? Have you scanned with VAGCOM?
The 2002 has no manual mode anymore.. with VAGCom we can't find anything

thanks to you all for the reply's
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2002 has no manual mode anymore.
Please explain what you mean by this.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2002 has no manual mode anymore..
My allroad built in May 2002 doesn't have manual mode either, although the yellow LED and the vertically printed "MAN" (manual) designation is present on the level indicator. I cannot select manual mode by pressing the “raise” or “lower” button for at least 3 seconds. The full manual suspension override mode was dropped after 2001. However, I believe that were I to attach a trailer hitch to the car and use the rear plug under the bumper, the manual mode is automatically selected.

Here's information from Audi's Pneumatic suspension system description.
Automatic switching

The so-called “manual mode” can be switched on or off by pressing the “raise” or “lower” button for at least 3 sec. The yellow LED marked “man” indicates to the driver that the vehicle is in manual mode. The automatic “parking level control” and “motorway mode” functions are deactivated in manual mode.

Since klukje is in Europe, I assume his allroad has the European version of the suspension controller (4Z7907553A). This means the automatic "parking level control" and "motorway mode" (Level 1) should be present. And if the automatic parking level control isn't working, I wouldn't be surprised that Level 1 is also not available.

EDIT 6/17/2011 My 2002 allroad has Level Control p/n 4Z7907553E with component "- 2C1A1 D040", and is coded 25500

Here's more info from the pneumatic suspension system description:
Trailer operation

The correct position of the tow bar on the trailer attachment during trailer operation is indicated in normal mode. Contact switch F216 in the 13 pin trailer socket is used to signal that the trailer plug is inserted, i.e. indicates trailer operation (see description “Trailer operation signal”. If trailer operation is recognised, the manual mode is automatically activated (LED “man” lights up) whereby the automatic raising process is stopped. Normal level is set by the driver via control unit E281.
And...
In trailer operation, normal mode [Level 2] must always be selected and care must be taken that the system is switched to
manual mode (e.g. no automatic switching to manual mode if trailer operation signal fails). In difficult driving conditions, high level 1 or high level 2 can be selected, however, normal level [Level 2] must be selected before a driving speed of 35 km/h is exceeded. Driving at low level or in automatic mode is not permitted.

That italicized last sentence makes me wonder...is there a problem with the trailer hitch connector causing the air suspension system to think there is a trailer attached?

And here's the height adjustment strategy for the allroad's 4Z7907553A and 4Z7907553B controllers. Note the "B" version runs things a bit differently.

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 06-17-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2001 lowers to level 1 at more like 65-70 mph on the freeway...

Odd that the functions were changed over the years by Audi. What benefit is there to waiting until 90 to lower the car as opposed to a lower speed?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Doesn't lower than "normal" L2 add stress to the suspension components and increase abnormal tire wear?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you all

Now when i see the connection with the tow connector...

Since some time i change the licence plate lamps bulbs fot LED.
it would be strange.. but i change them tomorrow back to normal blubs.

i let you know

Bye

Quick Reply: airsuspension drops at 50mph but not at 90mph