Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad boost gauge (AF?) solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Allroad boost gauge (AF?) solutions

I have found lots of examples for A4/S4 etc, but are still looking for the 'right' (my Allroad is adult car, daily driver; I like analog, but nice matching digital a possibility) boost gauge solution for my Allroad (only 2 center vents, not sure if giving up one is a good choice).

On my B5 A4 I went with Podi steering mount (haven't found an Allroad specific solution on Podi site yet).

Also need advice: With future Stage 3+, should I plan for boost/AF combo (or use AF only while tuning/setup and then remove)?

Please post links or photos of solutions.
And links for DIY and sources.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as gauges go, I'm going with the Elite 10 boost/vacuum and oil pressures from this place --
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...or-gauges.aspx
I' think I am going to make a custom a-pillar mount as no one makes one for the wider a-pillar that the allroad has. I had a pair of Omori's on an a-pillar mount in my B5 S4 (now my son's car) and liked the set-up.
The nice thing about these gauges is that you can match them to your instruments.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Custom A-pillar: wow, scares me. Would never get it to look clean. Looking at the gauge, and keeping the A pillar in mind: would be nice to have oil pressure, boost/vac, AF.
If I had to settle for 2: boost, AF (low oil pressure monitored by ECU).
If one: boost (a clear must for me), and AF used temporarily only during setup/tuning.

Being an 'adult', and on my way to building a sleeper (or power wagon as I call them (Stage 3+)), are you not afraid the A pillar gauges look too 'boy racer'?

Originally Posted by Mike B
As far as gauges go, I'm going with the Elite 10 boost/vacuum and oil pressures from this place --
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...or-gauges.aspx
I' think I am going to make a custom a-pillar mount as no one makes one for the wider a-pillar that the allroad has. I had a pair of Omori's on an a-pillar mount in my B5 S4 (now my son's car) and liked the set-up.
The nice thing about these gauges is that you can match them to your instruments.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Being an 'adult', and on my way to building a sleeper (or power wagon as I call them (Stage 3+)), are you not afraid the A pillar gauges look too 'boy racer'?
Maybe, especially if done in black plastic. I'm not giving up my center vents and I don't want to mount them on the column and obscure other instruments so that doesn't leave much choice.
The only thing I don't like about these gauges as opposed to the Omori's, is that they are not available with the faces screened in bar, just psi.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few people who have taken apart their gauge cluster, removed the voltage gauge (right side) and installed a small analog boost gauge in its place. It looks good and just like factory, though you kind of have to hack your cluster a bit.

I contemplated the following:

1.) Buy EBAY digital boost gauge
2.) take apart, de-solder both 8 segment LED pieces from gauge PCB
3.) solder long wires between 8 segment LED pieces and PCB.
4.) mount remaining gauge "guts" somehwere in dash.
5.) Mount 8 segment LED pieces in rear view mirror. This would require taking the rear view mirror apart, masking off and removing part of the reflective coating on the back (sort of like how the compass shows through) and mounting the LED pieces so they show through. I was thinking bottom/left corner of mirror.

Alot of work and you'd need some decent technical/solding skills but it'd be pretty trick.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by swamper8
There are a few people who have taken apart their gauge cluster, removed the voltage gauge (right side) and installed a small analog boost gauge in its place. It looks good and just like factory, though you kind of have to hack your cluster a bit.
1. Not giving up the Volt Meter.

2. Don't like digital gauges.

Last edited by Mike B; 05-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
1. Not giving up the Volt Meter.

2. Don't like digital gauges.

Well at least you're flexible. I personally think the vent-mount gauges look like hacked ricer *** but to each their own. In my searching I've only found gauge cluster mod / custom A pillar / vent gauge mod so if you want something different you might be up to bat for coming up with a new and creative solution
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I read the 12V gauge replacement thread. Don't like the hot glue part, but are looking for a spare instrument cluster to give it a try. Like: factory look

May consider vent position (center or drivers side). Was told air still comes out, and close/vertical adjustment remains in tact. Analog clearly preferred over digital (much more intuitive to read), but 1 channel only. If AF is also needed, only digital possible for 2 channel (combined goost/AF gauge). But even the vent solution means a hack job, since no 'bolt on' is offered for the Allroad.

Pillar: with just one analog, may not be too 'boyracer'. Heard of 1 supplier (motodyne.com)to make Allroad fit pod. Waiting for 'factory match' confirmation/photo.

Steering whee pod (have Podi in B5 A4; oriented to right): don't seem to make Allroad fit. Someone hacked Passat pod. Should be left oriented location (in RPM gauge) to not block vital info. motodyne.com says they offer Allroad fit. Waiting for confirmation.

Using info panel in dash (program hack): digital only. Not sure how responsive.

LED (analog) boost gauge (also offer AF LED): requires careful drilling of lots of holes into the display (arranged in circle within RPM gauge), inserting lots of small LEDs and wiring/soldering tons of wires in very confined space. Plus quite expansive. If someone would offer turnkey for reasonable price, would very nice layout.

Saw installation of 2 gauges below HVAC panel, forward of shifter. Not sure how its done, but could be an alternative (space not currently used).

Rear view mirror (?) hack below: seems to be too involved for my skills/hack level. Great idea, though.

I contemplated the following:

1.) Buy EBAY digital boost gauge
2.) take apart, de-solder both 8 segment LED pieces from gauge PCB
3.) solder long wires between 8 segment LED pieces and PCB.
4.) mount remaining gauge "guts" somehwere in dash.
5.) Mount 8 segment LED pieces in rear view mirror. This would require taking the rear view mirror apart, masking off and removing part of the reflective coating on the back (sort of like how the compass shows through) and mounting the LED pieces so they show through. I was thinking bottom/left corner of mirror.

Alot of work and you'd need some decent technical/solding skills but it'd be pretty trick.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Think I saw the one below the HVAC. You'd lose your ash tray & cigarette lighter socket. IIRC, the person made their own "bezel" to custom fit to the space. Sort of like Stereo guys do when they build a woofer box with angled mounting positions. Form the shape you want from some light gauge mesh, apply bondo, sand contours, repeat, maybe repeat again. That's toooooo low in my opinion, you want to be able to glance and get a reading so I think A-pillar mount, rear view mirror mount or vent mount are most convienent. I've also seen the LED's-in-tach setup. I was contemplating it because it's clean and trick however it's not something that I think you can just glance at and get a quick "reading". I just pictured myself staring at the gauge trying to find what LED's are lit up and then coorelate that to the boost value, then smash into a telephone pole. For those who don't have Onstar in the AR, the blank plate just in front of the front dome light might be something to consider. You couldn't mount it flat applied but, like below the HVAC, you could make your own custom bezel. In either case - Custom Bezel = a lot of work - and if you don't do a nice clean professional job it'll look real hacked. The "problem" with the AR is that it's a pretty classy car so the mods have to be done right.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well at least you're flexible. I personally think the vent-mount gauges look like hacked ricer *** but to each their own. In my searching I've only found gauge cluster mod / custom A pillar / vent gauge mod so if you want something different you might be up to bat for coming up with a new and creative solution
Yeah, that's me, Mr. Flexible. I am considering an a-pillar mount but that might have to be custom made for the allroad.

Quick Reply: Allroad boost gauge (AF?) solutions