Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad boost gauge (AF?) solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Pillar: with just one analog, may not be too 'boyracer'. Heard of 1 supplier (motodyne.com)to make Allroad fit pod. Waiting for 'factory match' confirmation/photo.

Steering whee pod (have Podi in B5 A4; oriented to right): don't seem to make Allroad fit. Someone hacked Passat pod. Should be left oriented location (in RPM gauge) to not block vital info. motodyne.com says they offer Allroad fit. Waiting for confirmation.
Let me know what motodyne comes up with.

BTW, swamper8: I don't have on-star so that idea of yours may be an alternative, but only if done very well and covered in matching leather.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Emailed them today again. Say they have A pillar (question: fit for AR pillar? Texture and color to match my white/silver?) and Steering column (same question here: plug and play or hack job, plus: left or right orientation (or dual?) available (photo shows right).

Will post answers when complete.

No one to have 'plug and play' center vent (for our 2 outlet vent vs. the common 3 outlet)?

Already looking for cheap spare instrument cluster to try the 12V gauge replacement (don't want to do it on my original, plus coding needed I think to match cluster to car).

Originally Posted by Mike B
Let me know what motodyne comes up with.

BTW, swamper8: I don't have on-star so that idea of yours may be an alternative, but only if done very well and covered in matching leather.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Steering Wheel 2 Pod

This would be nice, not sure how much info would get blocked.
Did anyone 'adapter' (=hack) a Podi pod to fit the AR?

http://podi.ca/P2Packages.aspx?CarID=1
Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 35 and I really hate ricer mods like a-pillar junk hanging out so everybody on the street can see it. That eliminates that avenue.

Center vent mod for me is a big no-no since during the summer I really want that center vent's side-to-side slits to work which with a gauge in there they would not.

So I settled on modifying driver side vent.

At that point I had two important rquirements, it had to display boost as well as AFR from my wideband sensor. That seriously narrowed down the number of contenders and I finally settled on VEI.from podi.ca I spent some quality time with my side vent, it was custom cut/glued together. The gauge matches perfectly with cluster imho, same color and font style as digital pieces, it has black matte finish, as flush in as possible:

Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am with you most of the way. Dual gauges (boost, AF) may be nice (I am not sure if AF is enough during tuning = temporary).

Here is where I have problems:
- 'custom glued cut and glue: may not meet by critical quality level (I am messy), even so I love ghetto solutions
- side vent: still an important (driver) vent gone
- digital is just not intuitive, particularly 'down there' (pretty much had to do my pulls driving blind), and can't even ask a passenger to 'take notes'.
- some of the A pillar VENT (not pod) solutions don't look so bad.
- for total stealth and for one gauge only and 'hacking required', I currently favor the 12V replacement mit 37mm gauge.
- unless someone offers a 'plug and play' solution (waiting for motodyne and again Podi (never responded to question from a week ago)). Then even a center vent, driver vent, steering wheel, A pillar vent, A pillar (perfect match) with one analog gauge would get my approval.
- The perfect solution bar none would be the 'analog LED boost' with bar style analog LED AF, implemented into the cluster, clean manufactured, ready to install. But I think just to module is $200 or, plus fabrication, shipping (core?) is more like a $500 solution. But without question the best (total stealth, total factory look, easy to read (analog), easy to read location (instrument cluster).

Originally Posted by thejulex
I am 35 and I really hate ricer mods like a-pillar junk hanging out so everybody on the street can see it. That eliminates that avenue.

Center vent mod for me is a big no-no since during the summer I really want that center vent's side-to-side slits to work which with a gauge in there they would not.

So I settled on modifying driver side vent.

At that point I had two important rquirements, it had to display boost as well as AFR from my wideband sensor. That seriously narrowed down the number of contenders and I finally settled on VEI.from podi.ca I spent some quality time with my side vent, it was custom cut/glued together. The gauge matches perfectly with cluster imho, same color and font style as digital pieces, it has black matte finish, as flush in as possible:

Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Haha, I get your point, sort of. You basically are looking for analog gauge in center vent so that SOMEBODY CAN TAKE NOTES?

That's not a very serious approach to logging, which (the logging) you are trying to make a serious point of.

I neglected to say that the gauge I have is just an FIY for myself, although a very important one when I drive without my laptop, so that I am alerted to unusual boost/AFR when I DD my car. I am not either tuning or making changes based solely on readings on that thing.

The gauge is fed by VEI boost sensor in engine compartment and Zeitronix system for AFR readings. Zeitronix also has a separate boost sensor and has full logging capability so that RPMs/AFR/boost can be logged.

This is the imported into EcuX loggin spreasheets to provide auxiliary info.

Anyway, do as you please.

There is no "out of the box" solution to C5 for any vent/pillars/steering column. The closest you come to is B6 or whatever center gauge that needs the valances trimmed but it is still a custom size ****ty gauge (means you cannot replace it since nobody makes this size) in analog form.

Cheers.

EDIT: you missed EFU and some new solutions coming to cluster display shortly, visit audizine.com s4 forum, there was a post about cluster display solution for info display in the vicinity of $200 from germany.

Last edited by thejulex; 05-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dimmable 12V

Haven't found the right solution, but installed a temporary gauge.
Where is a good place to get the +12V dimmable (for instrument light) source from?

My gauge has a standard bulb.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's a few months since the last post, but I have done a fair bit of research lately into gauges, pods and digital displays.

First, you can get swivel pods which you can mount on your column but swivel out of the way when not required.

Next, there are dual gauges available in almost any configuration - both analogue and digital. With red backlighting. Twice the information in the space of a single gauge.

Finally, take a look at Zeitronix. The ZT-2 is a neat little digital display which shows four values at a time. It's small enough to mount on your column, and I'm pretty sure you could install it by means of a couple of little hinges so it folds down when not in use, giving an uninterrupted view of the factory instruments.

I'm still working on this. No photos as yet.....
Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Still looking for the 'stock look' solution

Short of replacing the voltage gauge with a boost gauge (but haven't received FIRM information/instructions how to marry a used cluster to my 2002 AR), I have not found any good looking solution for a boost gauge in the AR (AND without giving up airflow).

For the time being, I live with my ghetto gauge.
$20 Autozone gauge litterally clamped (with the steering wheel) it its position, red LED to replace the light bulb it came with.
(the shake comes from the firm sport suspension and sunami type boost kicking in...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is a clean look......

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=boost

Quick Reply: Allroad boost gauge (AF?) solutions