Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad low mileage query for fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allroad in SF
My 2002 went to allroad heaven at 98K but am taking a serious look at this 4.2 for sale in Jersey:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
I keep going back and forth on keeping mine! If I do get rid of it I'm local! Just turned 60k miles
Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My wife's 2002 allroad has 42500 mi and still looks like new inside and out (including a 3000 mile cross country relocation and a couple of 1500 mi trips). For the last 5 years, this car now gets driven about 3000 mi per year. (She works at home so no commutes). That works out to an average of 4700 mi per year since new, give or take.

I know there have been some high mileage comparison posts in the past. Conversly, can anyone with a 5-9 year old allroad claim a lower mileage based on a per year number? Just curious to see if we hold any kind of low mileage record here. :-)

Repairs:
Replaced timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, etc. at 42K (belt worn due to age vs miles)
replaced rear prop seal 41K
Audi replaced gas tank due to leak in filler tube (good will) 40K
Replaced rotors/pads around at 39K (replaced front rotors again at 42K under warranty due to premature warping)
Replaced front CV boots 39K
Repaired broken center console cup holder 37K

It's been over 2 years since I first started this thread and thought I might provide an update.

We're now at 48500 miles and (knock on wood) no other problems since. I swear my wife thinks a long trip is anything over 15 miles! (Which doesn't happen too often).

At 11 years old, the allroad looks almost like new. With only about 4500 miles per year, it's like driving a time machine. The only thing I'm nervous about is the air suspension. I figure if we're going to keep the car, replacement will be inevitable. When this happens, what do you think it will cost to have my Indy shop to replace? I know I should do in pairs when one starts to leak.
Attached Images  

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-15-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's been over 2 years since I first started this thread and thought I might provide an update.

We're now at 48500 miles and (knock on wood) no other problems since. I swear my wife thinks a long trip is anything over 15 miles! (Which doesn't happen too often).

At 11 years old, the allroad looks almost like new. With only about 4500 miles per year, it's like driving a time machine. The only thing I'm nervous about is the air suspension. I figure if we're going to keep the car, replacement will be inevitable. When this happens, what do you think it will cost to have my Indy shop to replace? I know I should do in pairs when one starts to leak.
You have kept it is great shape. There are a couple of different options when replacing your allroad air suspension. You could replace all four corners with a traditional Coil Spring Conversion Kit or you could replace the front and/or rear air springs when necessary. For pricing and option comparison information here is a link to Arnott's allroad air suspension product page: Of course this does not include installation and your repair shop may have other suggestions.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I did was replace each bag as they went bad. You could be pro-active if you plan to keep the car and do them in pairs or all at once if your wallet allows. With yours in such low mileage and fine condition...I would think selling it would be the last thing on your mind.

My 2001 just turned 180,000 miles...the bags were originals up until about 130,000 miles; then one by one they would start to go bad. No biggy...par for the course/car.

There is peace of mind with Arnott's warranty on their replacement bags. We are lucky as owners to have them as an aftermarket option to the excessively expensive OE bag units and compressors.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by all(over)road
All I did was replace each bag as they went bad. You could be pro-active if you plan to keep the car and do them in pairs or all at once if your wallet allows. With yours in such low mileage and fine condition...I would think selling it would be the last thing on your mind.

My 2001 just turned 180,000 miles...the bags were originals up until about 130,000 miles; then one by one they would start to go bad. No biggy...par for the course/car.

There is peace of mind with Arnott's warranty on their replacement bags. We are lucky as owners to have them as an aftermarket option to the excessively expensive OE bag units and compressors.
130K miles sounds like I may still have a ways to go miles-wise on the air suspension but I wonder if age would trump the low miles in my case and need to be replaced sooner.

My wife won't let me sell it so we'll keep it for some time though I am replacing my A4 this year with an A6.