Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad manual 6-speed transmission and differential oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allroad manual 6-speed transmission and differential oil change

Maybe it will save someone a headache and few hours of time I spent researching the topic.

This was for 2002 2.7T Allroad 6-spd MT with a high mileage. Gear oil was changed by previous owner at 90K.

Because it was like 5 years ago and now I noticed a "singing" sound coming out of gearbox on 6th gear at extremely low temperatures (-5...-20F) at about 2300rpm, there also was a subtle sound I could hear when switched to 6th too early. I decided to check/ replace gear box fluid and diff. fluid.

For Allroad manual gearbox you'll need 2.4l of G 005 000 Audi/ VW Gear oil (nothing else). This complies to GL4 standard for gear boxes containing brass parts. Buy (3) 1-litre bottles ($22)

Manual gearbox shares oil capacity with front final drive.

Rear final drive needs ~1.3 l synthetic gear oil (G 052 145 S2). $28/ bottle.

Car needs to be level. Fill plugs (undo them first) are on Pass side next to front and rear drive shafts. Need 10mm Allen to undo them.

(3) Drain plugs (also 10mm Allen) are on the bottom - one for Gearbox, front and Rear final drive. Again , common fill hole for the box and front diff.

Check your fluid level with bent 90 degree piece of wire. My was so low any length wire end was dry. As I said it was changed 5 yr ago at the Audi dealership. I wish I did the whole procedure year or two ago.

I drained only 0.65 litre of old fluid (!), from gearbox and front final drive. They must have screwed the procedure on the dealership ending the fill too fast because it needs to be done slowly , stopping couple times waiting for fluid to go in.

The gearbox took the whole 2.4 liters of G 005 000 gear oil. Level must be 9+-1mm below the bottom of fill hole. Tighten the fill plug to 40nm.

Differential took 1.2 liter. Since I only had one liter of G 052 145 S2 fluid I added up remaining 200g of G 005 000 before fluid started to come out of fill hole. Level must be to the bottom of fill hole. Tighten the plug to 40nm.

I drained ~ 1.15 liter from the rear final drive.

Fortunately the fluid I drained from gearbox was dark but clean and did not have any metal shavings in it. The sound of 6th gear was completely gone when test drove the car.

There is excellent video showing everything you need (but for another Audi). Gearbox and diff procedure starts approx from 7'30".

Hope it helps to save you some time.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is a link to the video I mentioned:

Old 02-04-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello

Originally Posted by microbe
Maybe it will save someone a headache and few hours of time I spent researching the topic.

This was for 2002 2.7T Allroad 6-spd MT with a high mileage. Gear oil was changed by previous owner at 90K.

Because it was like 5 years ago and now I noticed a "singing" sound coming out of gearbox on 6th gear at extremely low temperatures (-5...-20F) at about 2300rpm, there also was a subtle sound I could hear when switched to 6th too early. I decided to check/ replace gear box fluid and diff. fluid.

For Allroad manual gearbox you'll need 2.4l of G 005 000 Audi/ VW Gear oil (nothing else). This complies to GL4 standard for gear boxes containing brass parts. Buy (3) 1-litre bottles ($22)

Car needs to be level. Fill plugs (undo them first) are on Pass side next to front and rear drive shafts. Need 10mm Allen to undo them.

(3) Drain plugs (also 10mm Allen) are on the bottom - one for Gearbox, front and Rear final drive. Again , common fill hole for the box and front diff.

Check your fluid level with bent 90 degree piece of wire. My was so low any length wire end was dry. As I said it was changed 5 yr ago at the Audi dealership. I wish I did the whole procedure year or two ago.

I drained only 0.65 litre of old fluid (!), from gearbox and front final drive. They must have screwed the procedure on the dealership ending the fill too fast because it needs to be done slowly , stopping couple times waiting for fluid to go in.

The gearbox took the whole 2.4 liters of G 005 000 gear oil. Level must be 9+-1mm below the bottom of fill hole. Tighten the fill plug to 40nm.

Differential took 1.2 liter. Since I only had one liter of G 052 145 S2 fluid I added up remaining 200g of G 005 000 before fluid started to come out of fill hole. Level must be to the bottom of fill hole. Tighten the plug to 40nm.

Fortunately the fluid I drained from gearbox was dark but clean and did not have any metal shavings in it. The sound of 6th gear was completely gone when test drove the car.

There is excellent video showing everything you need (but for another Audi). Gearbox and diff procedure starts approx from 7'30".

should the oil not be filled till its running out the fill hole? just asking
Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

no the audi manual says 9mm below the hole for Allroad specifically.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by microbe

Hi.
Wat brand oil I need for differential and how much I need.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cristea Razvan
Hi.
Wat brand oil I need for differential and how much I need.
it was a long time, I recall I used audi oil for gearbox/ front and some other oil for rear diff. I'll check.