Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad suspension problem - newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad suspension problem - newbie needs advice

My 2001 2.7T allroad has a suspension problem - the front suspension slumps when parked and leaves both the front wheel arches resting on the tyres

When I start the car the pump raises the front but it takes 5 minutes and the compressor is very noisy

I have owned allroad from new - 43,000 miles on clock - don't have any CPO/warranty remaining

Took the car into my local dealer who replaced the front driver's side air spring - with labour this cost me £576 (that's >$1,000!)

They tested the suspension and advised it was OK - now 2 weeks later the fault is back and worse than before - I leave the car for 10 minutes and its fully slumped!

I've read some of this site's earlier threads on DIY replacement of air springs but don't think I'm up to doing that myself

Don't want to get fleeced (ripped off) by the Audi Dealer again so seeking advice on what the cause of the slumping is - and how to fix it without spending another $1,000

Any assistance/advice gratefully received

DJAH
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Could be the other spring, they have a habit of going bad relatively close together.

If this has been going on for any length of time pump could be weak from running too much.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Could be the other spring, they have a habit of going bad relatively close together.

So I'd need another new air-spring at £576 (>$1,000)- passenger side - and how do I tell if the compressor pump is bust? Dealer replacement cost on the pump is >$2,000 here in the UK !

DJAH
Old 04-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Default That's a real problem. The info on the compressor is REAL spotty.

When I'm diagnosing a compressor problem I look for the pump to produce 7-15 BAR, and not run so much that it times out. Now It needs to not be leaking at any of the springs or the compressor vent valve. This also goes bad , and bleeds the residual pressure out of the system. It should hold anywhere from 4-15 BAR after the pump shuts off. None of this gaurantees a sucsessful repair. All the dealer techs I have talked to basicly replace the compressor and valve body and call it a day. This IS REAL expensive, but under warranty no one cares. Now out of pocket...well. You need to run the output self tests as a start and post your results, we'll go from there.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: That's a real problem. The info on the compressor is REAL spotty.

OK - thanks for the advice - time to sell some stuff on ebay ready for a hefty dealer bill!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Please post again when

you finally have it fixed. My car has the same problem. Thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Please post again when

have you taken yours into a dealer for diagnosis?

what's their suggested remedy??

was hoping for some advice from the forum on a low cost fix - but so far just have advice to replace second front air-spring and possibly the air compressor - at significant expense!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Default I also did not recommend replacing anything, I suggested checking the other side

as they tend to go bad close together. I also suggested you start diagnosing the problems with an ouput state check. If you don't have a VW1551/2, Prodiag, or VagCom, there is little any of us can do to help you.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:02 PM

No such thing as low cost on an allroad
Old 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Default I just want to clarify on this as I think that djah is not listening...ex-Pz is giving amazing

free advice and he not only works on these cars in his own shop but has owned two (three?) of them...pay close attention, also the search is your friend as you will see that the suspension and its attendant parts are a very sophisticated set of parts and the diagnosis is difficult at best...what ex-Pz said is that YOUR dealer will simply throw parts at the problem at your expense....find a good individual shop that works on German cars, preferably Audi's and save yourself some money and some problems. Good luck.

Quick Reply: allroad suspension problem - newbie needs advice