Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Throttle Lag

I'm a bit confused by everyone's response to the trip throttle lag. No one seems to be too bothered by this problem. I think it is a major problem! When the allroad is driven aggressively, it is smooth and powerfull and a blast to drive. But I live in a small town. When driven passively (slowly) from stop sign to stop sign, the throttle lag makes this car very unsatisfying to drive. The engine and transmission don't seem to be in sync. That's just my opinion. I don't like the option of the GIAC chip because of warranty issues.
What is everyone's opinion of replacing the stock (2002) ECU with an ECU from a new 2005 A6 2.7 Trip Sline? Would that be a viable solution (Audi warranty)? Has anyone driven the new 2.7 sline and still experianced the throttle lag? The Allroad seems to have an amazing potential if the transmission program worked. I would appreciate your thoughts.
2002 Alpaca Tip Allroad
Old 07-26-2004, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would go back to the dealer and say unacceptable

They know the problem, it's raised in every single article, hell the Tourag (sp) has similar issues I hear.

It's unsatisfactory and unsafe.. the Audi Tip is one of the worse transmissions in the world!

But I have 2 6spds, so I don't car much, until they give me one of those damn tips as a rental..

Let the wife drive it one time, her comments" oh hell no!"
Old 07-27-2004, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The GIAC tip chip is not found in a scan of the car.

I think the dealer can flash a new program to your TCU.. but you have to be a PIA to get it. I'm not sure, but I'd ask. It is a known issue.. I would press reall hard..call AoA after sale group and complain real loud.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Allroad Throttle Lag

I definitely agree it is annoying ... it takes 7 or 8 stop signs in my neighborhood to get to my house and it seems you have to make a complete stop, wait a second or two and then go otherwise the car takes too much time to get into 1st to get going again.

I've never had an Automatic behave this slowly ...

Once I was in the median waiting to make a left turn and when I hit the gas the car literally took 2 or 3 seconds to get going, my passengers were very nervous and they were asking what the heck is wrong (and one of them has a tip in an A4)... we almost got broadsided ...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2 thoughts

1. Depending on the year, the tranny will learn your driving style and select from a different shifting routine to help match - it does help. Because my wife and I were both driving, it took a few months before I had enough seat time to get it to kick over to a more performance oriented routine - it is better.

2. You get used to it. I don't excuse the problem, but you do get accustomed to it and learn a different throttle application style to make it fast but not jerky.

charlie
01 tip
Old 07-27-2004, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One behavioral trick:

I often blip the throttle all the way to the floor, enough to trigger the kickdown "switch", midway thru a turn. This causes an immediate downshift of one gear without waiting for the engine to wind up the necessary torque to downshift regularly. Then a smooth application of the throttle gives comfortable pull out of the corner. If you don't hit the kickdown, then the engine has to really wind up before the lazy Tip downshifts, and the power comes on too strongly when it does.

If you trigger the kickdown and don't apply throttle, then it will shift back up in about 2-3 seconds.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also, does Sport Mode make much of a difference for you?

I've been trying to get my dealer to flash my '01 TCU with '02 code to get Sport Mode, hoping it would help.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly my thoughts! It can put you in VERY dangerous situations. Giac tip chip will not help. I

was trying to set up something with Giac. They are willing to look into it if someone can replicate the problem at their location (California). Someone on this board was willing to go but nothing ever came about.

I have since sold the ar and the automatic on my Fx45 is great. Instantaneous response. After having owned 2/3 Audis in tip, it is quite refreshing.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tip Lag..other Audis

Our 04 3.0 Q Cab.. has absolutely no tip lag at all. Our 01 A4 2.8Q had lag on the first tranny. Probably why it blew.. I kept flogging it and it went into safe mode. Audi replace the tranny on the 2.8 at 17K miles. This tranny had virtually no lag either.

So Flog your tranny till is dies then Audi put in a new one under warranty.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Downside of a turbo- as mentioned below you should adapt over short time...

we have the 4.2 so no lag. My TT doesn't seem so bad because I think the manual trans lets you spool up the turbo a little before moving off. We also have a MB E300 turbo diesel and if you try a quick take off from a standstill you find yourself thinking "OK- any day now" until the turbo spools up. I find light/moderate throttle for a second or two then the pedal to the floor gives more satisfactory results with the TD. If the 2.7 behaves like our E300 then trying to pull into a string of traffic from a stop could be dangerous. I've learned to know what the car is capable of and drive accordingly. Why not stop by your dealer and take a 4.2 or non turbo A6 for a drive and see what the difference is, or drive another 2.7 for comparison and see if yours is acting normal.

Quick Reply: Allroad Throttle Lag