Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad Vibration Issue (long-ish)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Vibration Issue (long-ish)

Hi,
I think I am a victim of the 45mph wobble / vibration issue.

I feel the vibration the most over 45mph in the steering wheel and seat. My sun visor also seems to shake quite a bit. Turning the steering wheel a little left or right does not feel linear - it seems rather notchy.

My car is a 2002 Allroad with Auto tranny and approx 1400 miles on it. The build date from the door sticker is 06/02.

I have been going to Clair Audi and so far they have tried:

* Balance all 4 wheels/tires
* Downforce Balance all 4 wheels/tires (with Hunter GSP9700)
* Replace Servotronic relay.

I test drove another allroad with a build date of 04/02 and the problem wasnt that evident. It only have about 60 miles on it. However I have noticed the vibration on my car since day 1.

The service dept in Clair say they cant feel any abnormal vibration. However I certainly notice the difference between this car and my 1999 A6 Avant Auto.

After reading about similar experiences on audiworld.com it seems that I am not the only one with this problem. What other (potential) solutions have people tried? Is AoA aware of this issue?

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the same thing with my '01 4.2...

It feels to me like a tremor of sorts...not really "wobbly"...mostly in my a*s and back through the seat...a little in the steering wheel but not really pronounced...my visor shows the vibration the best also...when flipped down it shakes just like the vibration I feel...

The dealer has re-balanced the wheels (previously) and "checked" the driveshafts and tie-rods (last week). It seems to be worse since they did this...I must bring it back and leave it there until they find it...it was very unpleasant this am...it is getting so that the vibration is the ONLY thing I notice about the car...which sucks.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It most likely has to do with the automatic trans, seeing as how no 6 speeds have ever had this.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Well...I have the same car

a 2002 Tip from Clair even...and no problems (3K miles). I thought they had solved it for 2002. The only variable I can think of may be the wheels/tires. I have the single spoke wheels/Pirellis.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Replace TCM

AofA suggested to my Audi tech, like mentioned in previous posts, that they replace the Tip TCM in my 2001. They replaced my TCM and the wobble is gone for good.

Now if they can fix the hesitation... Audi reported to my tech that there is an engineer working on the hesitation issue and that they're aware of it.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Similiar problem with my 2002 except

my vibration is only in the steering wheel. It's intermittent between 45 and 55 mph and, when occurring, increases during braking then quites around 25 or 30 mph.

Dealer has roadforce balanced the original single spoke wheels and Goodyears (which helped some). Recently replaced the Goodyears w/ Michelins and the problem persists.

Build date of 05/02, auto, now with 5600 miles but problem from day one also.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Allroad Vibration Issue (long-ish)

Thanks for all the replies. I will mention replacing the TCM to the techs at Clair. However from reading other posts it seems like the '02s have the 'new' TCM that people are getting as replacements in their '01s.

As for wheels/tires: I have the double spoke wheels with Pirelli's.

Driving home tonight the difference between 30 mph and 50 mph on smooth roads is pronounced. Even though I find it hard to believe that the tranny could cause such a vibration, I dont think it is a wheel balance issue because that would happen at all speeds.

Paul.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Try

putting the car in neutral after reaching 45 mph and feeling the wobble. If it stops, you can bet that its tranny related.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

actually most wheel balance probs show up over 50 mph.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:10 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also, try...

...resetting the TCM before you take it in. This has helped with this problem for some people in the past. (Turn on key but not ignition, hold gas pedal all the way down, past the kick-down click, for > 5 seconds.) HPH

Quick Reply: Allroad Vibration Issue (long-ish)