Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad vs A6 headlight compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad vs A6 headlight compatibility

I would need to convert my -03 Allroad to have right-hand drive beam shape. I've been looking full sets of RHD Allroad headlights, but they seem to be very hard to come by and Audi dealers asks absolutely ridiculous prices.

However, if seems that there is abundance of RHD A6 headlighs, full sets and parts, all alike. The question is that is there any compatibility between A6 and Allroad headlights - could I take some A6's headlighs or could I just replace parts of the current xenon headlights to form the correct beam shape.

An Audi dealer was already helpfull (not) by providing the information that the part codes of headlights of A6 and Allroad are different - so as far as they are concerned, no compatibility exists...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "right-hand drive beam shape" ?

didn't know there was such a thing. sounds like you are taking the AR to the UK? I would think that it's would be just a matter of different beam alignment, since driving on the left side of the road is just mirror of the right side. But, you learn something new everyday.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the C5 A6 (pre-2002 facelift and none-4.2) will fit your allroad. see my sig for more details.

Also, if you really wanted to change your existing housing (Low-beam angle) from LHD to RHD, you would need to find a set of OEM C5 projectors (not the bi-xenon type) on ebay etc and swap them in.

I will tell you, that to do this, requires you to take apart your headlight housing. You'd need to use a heatgun to remove the plastic lense and remove the inner housing and then unscrew the exising low-beam projector. I've done this about a dozen times....and that inner housing is a "bitch" to reinstall.

I recommend buying a used set of RHD housings (complete) and just selling your existing ones. In the end, you will save yourself a lot of time and energy.

Again, see my sig for my oem hid upgrade...and related info that is linked in that thread.

Good luck!
-ted
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 AM

Default Thanks!

The other required UK mods were MPH&KMH speedometer dial and RH foglight. The first was easy - just changed the face foil, the second one required a salvaged license plate holder, which was near $100...