Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad vs. S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't mean to imply the allroad doesn't handle well...

Hopefully you got what you wanted out of the feedback. The allroad, give its versatility, handles extremely well for its compromises in being SUVish. As many have mentioned, changing out the OEM tires will reap huge benefits in the handling department. The sway bar will add even more. Pull the relay, better yet.

I find since doing the mods, I enjoy the allroad so much more--thanks to the folks on this forum. Initially I was down on the allroad, but thanks to the folks here I find myself quite the fan now. Being that I prefer the S4, I find myself actually choosing to drive the allroad quite often now. Its a whole lot more fun! I think that speaks volumes for a car that can do so many things well, without feeling like you traded off too many things.

My two cents.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I owned an A4 avant up until March of this year.....

when I upgraded to the allroad. The space is a huge issue with me. I play drums, and ski a lot, and things used to get VERY tight in the A4 with only 2 passengers and all the gear. The power in the A4 was significantly less with two or more people and all the gear as well.

The AR is much more spacious, and has wasy more power when loaded than the A4. The AR is more predictable and composed when loaded as well. The ride height is not even comparable when talking about AR and A4. A4 sucked when loaded, and it did feel as though it was stressed under load. I used to bottom out all over the place.

the only thing I miss in regards to the A4 was that fun little 1.8t engine. I had it modded and it was quick...throw you back in your seat quick. The AR is faster, but it feels slower than the A4 for some reason...power delivery, etc.

So, to recap:

Space....AR hands down (fully loaded, comfortable)
Engine...A4 (seemed more peppy)
Power....AR hands down (delivery more consistent)
suspension...AR (more composed, predictable)