Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Another Suspension Level problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Suspension Level problem...

2005 Allroad - 2.7

I have the Gen II bags on my car, had replaced OEM's about a year ago. My air pump has been getting weak and recently my passenger front shock blew. I called Arnott and got a replacement Billstein. Installed the new shock and rebuilt the pump on Saturday.

Here's my problem: After installation, I let the car down to 'ride height'. I turned on the car and the pump kicked on. It ran for a while then turned off and gave me the error light. I tried it several times and nothing. I let the jack down and the front of the car went all the way to the ground. I jacked it back up and took the car out of 'jack mode'. I tried the levels again and the rear has pressure but the front does not. The passenger front has no pressure at all (the one I replaced the shock in), the driver side front has pressure but not enough to keep the car up. I double checked all the connectors and do not hear any air leaks.

Did I mess up by taking the car out of 'jack mode'? I do not have a vagcom, trying to get access to one.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First Test

Originally Posted by 603racing
2005 Allroad - 2.7

I have the Gen II bags on my car, had replaced OEM's about a year ago. My air pump has been getting weak and recently my passenger front shock blew. I called Arnott and got a replacement Billstein. Installed the new shock and rebuilt the pump on Saturday.

Here's my problem: After installation, I let the car down to 'ride height'. I turned on the car and the pump kicked on. It ran for a while then turned off and gave me the error light. I tried it several times and nothing. I let the jack down and the front of the car went all the way to the ground. I jacked it back up and took the car out of 'jack mode'. I tried the levels again and the rear has pressure but the front does not. The passenger front has no pressure at all (the one I replaced the shock in), the driver side front has pressure but not enough to keep the car up. I double checked all the connectors and do not hear any air leaks.

Did I mess up by taking the car out of 'jack mode'? I do not have a vagcom, trying to get access to one.
Have you checked air leak in air bag before the assembly in vehicles
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are no leaks that I can find in the front. The passenger front has no pressure at all and no air is coming through the line. The driver front has some pressure and is holding but will not raise car.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no leaks that I can find in the front. The passenger front has no pressure at all and no air is coming through the line. The driver front has some pressure and is holding but will not raise car.
did you fit the piston ring up the correct way? It could be upside down giving poor pressure,

did you buy the kit from me?

regards

Andy (bagpipingandy)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
did you fit the piston ring up the correct way? It could be upside down giving poor pressure,

did you buy the kit from me?

regards

Andy (bagpipingandy)
It is your kit. I paid close attention to the ring when installing. Looked to me as if it would only fit correctly one way anyway. I found someone with a vagcom to come scan/reset the car tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it I may pull the pump apart (hopefully in the car this time) and double check the ring, but I'm positive it's installed correctly.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you hear air escaping when the front is trying to lift, the one strut you changed it could leak past the o-ring which would loose air but with your ear in close and the compressor running i would expect to hear the air whooshing.

try your finger over the compressor output it should blow your finger off the end if all healthy.

regards

andy
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a thought that maybe moisture froze in the line. So I heated my garage to 70*f for a couple hours then tried it. Still not working.

Andy, I did listen for leaks, could not hear any.

Another odd behavior I witnessed. When attempting to get the car to go to level 2 last night, the front would not go up at all. The rear would go up past level 2, at least an inch past.

I have someone coming over today with a vagcom. I'll report back after that.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had a thought that maybe moisture froze in the line. So I heated my garage to 70*f for a couple hours then tried it. Still not working.

Andy, I did listen for leaks, could not hear any.

Another odd behavior I witnessed. When attempting to get the car to go to level 2 last night, the front would not go up at all. The rear would go up past level 2, at least an inch past.

I have someone coming over today with a vagcom. I'll report back after that.
Take the wheel off (where you replaced the shock), disconnect the line and start the car again. See if any air is coming in. Also, push the level button all the way up to 4.

If air is coming from the line, you have a Leak in your assembly. Did you grease the top O-ring?

If no air is coming out, scan the car for sensor height values. You can try disconnecting the level control module and connecting it back, to "reset" it.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 01-09-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I am going to check for leaks today. I did grease the top o-ring. I found this today, seems helpful.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

Here are the codes I pulled yesterday. Resetting them did not help.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
Thursday, 09 January 2014, 14:46:07:38157
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 553 Fâu
Component and/or Version: - 2C1A1 D060
Software Coding: 25500
Work Shop Code: WSC 02334
VCID: 9F3175720EB3
3 Faults Found:
01400 - Suspension Level Control
11-10 - Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent
01577 - Turn-Off due to Over-Temp
35-10 - - - Intermittent
02538 - Function Restriction due to Overload
35-10 - - - Intermittent

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
Thursday, 09 January 2014, 14:50:08:38157
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 553 Fâu
Component and/or Version: - 2C1A1 D060
Software Coding: 25500
Work Shop Code: WSC 02334
VCID: 9F3175720EB3
1 Fault Found:
01400 - Suspension Level Control
11-00 - Control Limit Not Reached
Old 01-10-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

check compressor output if its strong the ring is fitted ok, the rest is a bit confusing for now but have you had anything else removed, airlines, level sensors or other?

did it work ok before you carried out the work?
what exactly have you removed and re-fitted from the car?

I'm thinking outloud for simple stuff: could front airlines have been swapped with rears? or front level sensor on the wrong way and it thinks it is high, and rear is trying to lift to match??

regards

Andy

Quick Reply: Another Suspension Level problem...