Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Another 'suspension wont raise' question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 'suspension wont raise' question

Finally back in an audi! Picked up an 04 allroad 4.2 yesterday. This morning the front suspension is lowered (25* parked outside), looks like the passenger side is resting on the bump stops (drivers side is about 1-2" higher). When I start the car and select level 2 or 3 it will blink green but wont raise. The yellow suspension light flashes but nothing happens. I can hear what I believe to be the compressor working but am unsure where to go from here and have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to get the car to raise so I can test to see if it will hold air on setting 3 or 4? i.e. jacking up the front end or something like that?
2) Is it okay to drive with the suspension bottomed out in the front (normal roads to and from work).
3) What else can I check before purchasing new airbags? I want to make sure I'm not just replacing airbags without first understanding if they are indeed faulty. The PO did have the airbags replaced but it was about 5 years ago.
4) Is there a preferred replacement airbag? I see generic no name brands on Amazon for as little as $130 ea and I also see the Arnott A-2869 for $280.

Any help wold be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2legit
1) Is there a way to get the car to raise so I can test to see if it will hold air on setting 3 or 4? i.e. jacking up the front end or something like that?
you can do that, ive done that when i had a leaky bag to get it to raise to a lvl where it didnt leak

2) Is it okay to drive with the suspension bottomed out in the front (normal roads to and from work).
not recommended, super rough ride and not good for the car overall

3) What else can I check before purchasing new airbags? I want to make sure I'm not just replacing airbags without first understanding if they are indeed faulty. The PO did have the airbags replaced but it was about 5 years ago.
use the soapy spray bottle trick to check all the bags and fittings for leaks

4) Is there a preferred replacement airbag? I see generic no name brands on Amazon for as little as $130 ea and I also see the Arnott A-2869 for $280.
arnott FTW, best warranty in the air spring market hands down. many of us have warrantied out multiple sets of air springs over the years.
the front gen 1 bags just got an update to the design, slapped a pair on my ar yesterday.
would also suggest replacing the shocks as well with the new bags, save yourself some labor down the road
Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the help!

I tried the jack but that didn't seem to do the trick. Took it for a slow ride around the neighborhood and it came back up to level 2.

I have it at level 4 now and will see how it does overnight.

Sounds like the Arnott springs may be in my future. May try the green slime trick first to see if that helps me get through the winter.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Morning update - I set the allroad on level 4 at 3pm yesterday. This morning (5am) its still at the same position. Temp yesterday was 34*, this morning its 14*.

Would this point to a leak on another level? It was at level 2 when parked the night before and sunk down to the bump stop on the passenger front side.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Morning update - I set the allroad on level 4 at 3pm yesterday. This morning (5am) its still at the same position. Temp yesterday was 34*, this morning its 14*.

Would this point to a leak on another level? It was at level 2 when parked the night before and sunk down to the bump stop on the passenger front side.
To test for leaks overnight you have to put the suspension in 'jack more's by holding down the up and down buttons for level control. The jack mode stops any automatic adjustments that the computer makes to keep the car level as long as there is air in the air tank and the car battery is fairly charged. So if you don't have the car in jack mode any small leaks won't show in the morning because the car levels itself. Most leaks are in level 2 or 1 depending on the level in which the car is driven mostly. So I suggest leaving the car parked in level 1 or 2 overnight with 'jack mode' on to get an idea of any air leaks...
Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you just need new bags, don't do coils, ugh, I just put 4 new arnott bags on, mechanic gave me a ten year warranty, they ride slightly firmer but I like that and no worries till 2025.....,

my mechanic shop is the best in CT for these cars, and they know their stuff.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it always sinks at level 1, or sometimes at 2, but doesnt sink at level 3 or 4 this is definetely an airbag lesak, only replace the corner which sinks the lowest,

best regards

Andy
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys - new stuff is on the way.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to jump in on this thread, I replaced my two front bags last winter and haven't had any issues. Two days ago, I parked my 05 allroad in the driveway. Came out in the morning and the front end is on the ground. It was 14 degrees out. I started the car, the suspension light would flash for a couple of minutes then turn solid. The front end did not come up at all. What should I try next?
Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by X77-69z28
Just to jump in on this thread, I replaced my two front bags last winter and haven't had any issues. Two days ago, I parked my 05 allroad in the driveway. Came out in the morning and the front end is on the ground. It was 14 degrees out. I started the car, the suspension light would flash for a couple of minutes then turn solid. The front end did not come up at all. What should I try next?
solid lights means an error code is stored
get it vagcom'ed and report pack

but seeing how it didnt raise at all i could be either the compressor or the suspension computer has failed.

Quick Reply: Another 'suspension wont raise' question