Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Any opinions on Pirelli Scorpion STR tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions on Pirelli Scorpion STR tires?

These tires have a pretty good customer review on Tire Rack, but not from any Allroad users. Have Allroad uses here abandoned the light truck and suv tires and gone to the high performance tires such as the Yoko advans and Dunlop sports?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes....

We tend to use Falkens, Kumho, Toyo, A few Goodyear, etc. Most of us tend to go for an All Season Z rated tire. Those of us with two sets of wheels will go for a Z rated high performance Summer only tire and a dedicated winter. Just keep in mind the load rating that the allroad requires.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: yes....

I took a look at the load ratings again and the Pirellis are slightly higher than the Kumhos or Falkens. But the Kumho Z rated tires do have a much stiffer side wall which would take out some of the float and squirm in the Allroad ride. Checked the vehicle survey on Tire Rack and the Allroad users do give a thumbs up to the Kumho ASX. I am still a little biased towards the Pirelli scorpions because we do hit the beaches now and then and also go over some dirt and gravel trails. The beaches and trailing was done in the Nissan pickup, which is still in the driveway even though it's all beat up, but I would like to at least take the Allroad to the beach and I'm not sure the Kumhos could handle that. Definitely like the price differential between the Kumhos and Pirellis. Good grief, more choices to mull over. Thanks..:-)
Old 04-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Owned two sets of these on my '99 Honda CR-V

EXCELLENT performance in water (I live in Portland OR) and snow. Not really tested in ice (I tend to stay home during/after ice storms due to how people drive on ice in Portland).

Respectable wear results too.

But not quiet. Noiser than the noisy OEM Bridgestones. Essentially rendered my HF cellphone kit unusable on the highway (remember, it was a Honda - an ar would be quieter by some degree).

I personally wouldn't put them on my ar unless someone else swore by them, based on my usage profile - but if I still went down muddy and snowy dirt roads often in the winter, they would certainly do the job.

Aren't they the OEM tire on the LR Freelander and the BMW X3?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Owned two sets of these on my '99 Honda CR-V

After some more reading of user reviews and swapping emails with various Audi owners I backed away from the Scorpions. I did look at the Yoko advan st, but the price was to steep for me, especially since they are summer only tires. I asked about the Kumhos and the opinion was that they are good but that they wear out fairly fast. After some more consideration and flipping of coins I decided to try the Avon 550s. They had a slightly higher user rating than the Kumhos in the Tire Rack reviews and they were a lot cheaper than the Michelins or Pirellis.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Have had the Kumhos on my wife's Acura for 2-3 months...

...they seem to be a workmanlike tire, better than the Acura OEM Michelins, good in water, but I'm not sold yet on putting them on the allroad. They seem to have a slightly harder ride (I hope that means they don't wear out quickly) and I have a hard time thinking that, out of 10 points, a tenth of a point difference between the Avon and the Kumho is statistically relevant in the wear category.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Have had the Kumhos on my wife's Acura for 2-3 months...

It wasn't so much the wear listing in the Tire Rack review that made me back away from the Kumhos. It was some feedback from Audifan listers who had used the Kumhos on the V8s. They had good things to say about the performance, but they did note that the tires wore rather quickly. That coupled with the slightly better wet weather handling of the Avons tilted me in that direction. It definitely was not a solid objective analysis. Even if the Avons don't pan out to be that good, I think they should be better than the Goodyear Allroads that are on there now.