Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Any thoughts on how Audi will differentiate from VW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on how Audi will differentiate from VW?

Given the impending U.S. launch of the W8 Passat (which, rumor has it, will see revised gearing to improve performance for the U.S. market -- and may be offered in manual form) and the Phaeton (prev. known as the D1), how do you folks see Audi differentiating itself from VW?

As a previous Passat owner, I know that there are a lot of little differences in an Audi that add up to a much finer all-around driving experience, but looking at it on paper the W8 Passat is getting into A6 performance territory for A4 money and the Phaeton is pretty much giving you an A8 for A6 money (or less).

My guess is that Audi emphasizes performance, which would be a good thing, and more in line with the company's roots. The only question then is, will Audi have something to compete against the VW W12 Roadster that appears to be heading to production? Should they?

Or maybe none of this makes sense and VW is going to steal lots of customers from Audi? Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2001, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I used to think that an A4 was a really nice Jetta and that a A6 was a really nice Passat...

Then I opened my eyes and realized that I was a complete idiot. Not to dis' VW, because as some of you know, I gave up my beloved 2001 VW GTI to get an allroad (in my mind the ar is a stretched version of my GTI). I love VW... but they're totally different vehicles.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:59 PM

Default Re: I used to think that an A4 was a really nice Jetta and that a A6 was a really nice Passat...

I'm not so sure. I just stepped up from a 2001 Passat GLX with 4motion to an allroad (I know, it was a crazy and impulsive move, but I love my ar!) and, though the allroad is definitely a better car all around, it actually made me appreciate even more how incredibly good the Passat is. The W8 Passat will blur the lines even more.

And, I'm not sure if you've seen the pics of the Phaeton, but it's going to give the A8 a run for its money in the cabin and in terms of performance, but will be priced around the ballpark of a well optioned A6.

The lines are far less different than they used to be.

I guess VAG is doing something right, though, since we've both made the move from VW to Audi!
Old 12-14-2001, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My previous car was also a 4Motion Passat.

I had a '98 A4 Avant and needed more space. When comparing a '00 A6 Avant to a '00 Passat 4Motion wagon I couldn't find $8k worth of differences. I traded the Passat for the allroad to get a stick and I got much much more. The Passat is a very good car but the allroad is a great car.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:44 AM

Default Re: My previous car was also a 4Motion Passat.

Definitely agree with you on this Paulallroad! Perhaps Audi will develop more "specialty" cars?
Old 12-14-2001, 11:06 AM

Default Inbred at best...

It is due to VW's technology and Ferdinand Piech that Audi is what it is today -Audi's loyalty is with VW (as it should be)...

It's not surprising the cars are similar. I just purchased a 2002 VW TDI and while it is a well-made car and has some of the same interior components as the Audi - it is NO Audi...

VW group is as follows: (Please, experts correct any errors - I'm doing this from memory!)

Golf, Jetta, TT, A3, Skoda, Seat, Beetle are all one platform (essentially the same car).

Passat is closer to the A4. "Technically" the Passat is on a "stetched" A4 platform. The Passat is "bigger" than the A4 but does not share any platform with the A6...

The A6 platform is of its own entity. However the future "design strategy" planed by Piech was to modify the ENTIRE VW group to 3 basic platforms. So I suspect by the 2005 A6 replacement we'll see that it (may) share its platform with the new VW D1, A8 and possibly Bugati...

I'm just guessing here but I think the "3rd" platform would be a hybrid/SUV/Van set up. Possibly facilitating the Stepenwolf, Porsche SUV, New MicroBus, etc..

I must say, even though I do not own an A4 I "cringe" when people confuse the A4 with the passat. 8-)