Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anybody know anything about the low range gearbox option

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know anything about the low range gearbox option

Just bought and started using the 2.5 V6 diesel quattro manual gearbox, and i have to say coming down from a P38 Range Rover I'm very happy and impressed with all aspects of the car. My only down side is that on a couple of occasions now I've had the clutch smoking nicely trying to recover a boat up a steep slipway. The hand book mentions a low range gearbox option with this fitted it would tick every box. I've contacted Audi, Audi gearbox reconditioners etc and no one knows anything about it. Is it an option at time of build only? Is it an after market fit? Is there anyone out there with some info about it or better still where I can look into getting one.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Andy
Do you have a small red button on the gear stick shaft? This is the activation switch.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this here allroad quickstart guide
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/Qu...renceGuide.pdf
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks but I know about the button on the gear stick, and I don`t have one. What I`m trying to find is if the low range gearbox option is something that can be retro fitted. As I really have a need for it.

Life is not about making it to the grave in a fully functioning and well preserved body, but to slide into the grave beer in one hand strawberries in the other, body worn out shouting woo hoo made it!!!

Andy
Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by andy.kitchen
Just bought and started using the 2.5 V6 diesel quattro manual gearbox, and i have to say coming down from a P38 Range Rover I'm very happy and impressed with all aspects of the car. My only down side is that on a couple of occasions now I've had the clutch smoking nicely trying to recover a boat up a steep slipway. The hand book mentions a low range gearbox option with this fitted it would tick every box. I've contacted Audi, Audi gearbox reconditioners etc and no one knows anything about it. Is it an option at time of build only? Is it an after market fit? Is there anyone out there with some info about it or better still where I can look into getting one.
Everything can be retro fitted but the problem would be the cost. You would have to buy new transmission with the option since it was a special version. This all in itself, given that the option was very rare, is probably a $5000 right here for tranny from dealer if they even have it available. Then you're looking at installation fee, few more pieces like aforementioned new shift levers etc and you will easily pay as much as the car is now worht...

Now, what you really need is a new clutch and not one of the whimpy stock ones but heavy duty Stage 3 or something like that. A clutch used in souped up Audis that can handle lots of torque and abuse.

I personally have VAST stage 3 hybrid ceramic-organic clutch that handles 500HP my Allroad puts down without any effort and the car drives like stock clutch while at it. I highly recommend this clutch.

When buying heavy duty clutches you usually trade daily driveability for additional power handling, not so with VAST Stage 3 that marries both features pretty well.

Last edited by thejulex; 08-27-2010 at 05:10 AM.