Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anyone besides me looking for a CANGate module for RNS-E? There might be a solution..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone besides me looking for a CANGate module for RNS-E? There might be a solution..

See post 7 and email bjarne and let him know you would be interested.

http://audiforum.us/cables-adapters-...2-cangate.html

Here is a LONG thread describing the CANGate module and that large amount of things that it can do:

http://audiforum.us/multimedia/3145-cangate.html

Basically, the main features for me are syncing the cluster clock with the RNS-E clock for those of us that did that upgrade. Another important feature is that it allows non CAN MFSW relay modules that came on the cars to send CAN signals to the radio which in turn means you dont have to shell out the $250 to replace that relay with a CAN capable one.

As far as what it is, this is a guess as I have never seen one, but it is a small device that sits between the cluster and the radio that decodes the signals and sends them to the RNS-E so that it can understand those signals.

Last edited by ricam78; 11-19-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I want one but cant message him...

I signed on and have been a member for a month now on that site! I have no use privileges whatsoever though and cannot post or message anyone.

When I click on the contact at the bottom to contact an administrator, I get an error message.

It appears I am awaiting activation and the way it seems, I will never be activated. Is there another way to get in contact with him besides that site?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

YGPM
Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like I *may* be interested in a CANGATE as well. Apparently, the it's about the only way I can get a reverse camera to automatically activate without recoding the RNSE to Lambo mode, which would disable the use of my Sirius tuner. Apparently the CANGATE is capable of feeding the reverse signal via CAN so a Kufatec IMA can automatically switch the source when reverse is engaged.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05allroad
Looks like I *may* be interested in a CANGATE as well. Apparently, the it's about the only way I can get a reverse camera to automatically activate without recoding the RNSE to Lambo mode, which would disable the use of my Sirius tuner. Apparently the CANGATE is capable of feeding the reverse signal via CAN so a Kufatec IMA can automatically switch the source when reverse is engaged.
Interesting. I guess it makes sense that anyone that gets a RNS-E get a CANGate as you really never know when or why you might need it! You are going to be a know all of all of my future questions at the rate you are going Write it all down somewhere!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep - I am one of the lucky ones who has a CANGATE and a backup camera and a DLO homedock conencted to it.

I get full IPOD control as well as Backup Camera. I love it. Its a shame that Audi did not offer this with the allroad.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can you share some more details of your backup cam? Are you using an IMA, Dietz, or did you just pinout the multimedia adapter for video?

Assuming you're also still running US SW 200 on the RNS-E so the video input is still enabled?

Details, please!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ricam78
Interesting. I guess it makes sense that anyone that gets a RNS-E get a CANGate as you really never know when or why you might need it!
I'd agree, especially with allroads, but I'm assuming that many of the newer vehicles are already transmitting reverse status info via CAN messages. That said, the more I read about the CANGATE the more impressed I am about the things it can do!

You are going to be a know all of all of my future questions at the rate you are going Write it all down somewhere!
I'll tell you what. Most of the information is 'out there' but it can be hard to pull together & find the right pieces. I've spent the better part of the last 3 months reading EVERYTHING I can get my hands on about the RNSE & it's accessories.

Give me a shout before you start any RNS-E projects and I'll be happy to distill my months of searching into the relevant info that you'll need for the project - assuming I've found it already!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are the man!!! I have no immediate plans, but I am sure I will in the near future.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd harass you to do bluetooth, but I can see a lot of people skipping that (or going aftermarket) as the Audi BT stuff is pretty overpriced. To me, a car is almost useless without it!

Quick Reply: Anyone besides me looking for a CANGate module for RNS-E? There might be a solution..