Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

AR Electric installation for a trailer connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my hitch put in, the guys at midstate in old snowmass did a great job, even making a bracket for the 13 pin worthless harnes.
^^^^^ Any word on the european parts that audi told you they could order?
I really do not want to jerry rig this.
thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fjasper
So, do all those "other" pins listed in the plug diagram actually work? Because charging the battery in the trailer from the car would be cool. So would auxiliary backup lights for backing up a trailer in the dark.

I'm thinking one Euro plug on the trailer for the ar, and a 4-pin for when other people use it. On the ar, the stock plug plus a 4-pin socket for when I use a different trailer. Any reason this wouldn't work?
I don't see why the other pins wouldn't work, so you should be able to take advantage of all of them. Once I receive the mating Euro connectors I ordered I can send you one or two if you would like.

Originally Posted by skideeppow
^^^^^ Any word on the european parts that audi told you they could order?
I really do not want to jerry rig this.
thanks
I wouldn't hold your breath for those...lol
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm still working on a plan. I doubt Audi will provide anything useful.

My current idea is to cut off the 13-pin connector, install a 3-2 powered converter and a 4 to 7-pin adapter on the car. Although it's been stated that the Audi lights are already isolated, I can't verify that and would rather be safe than sorry. Curt has an adapter that, if unplugged from the converter, I could hook up the trailer directly to the converter, or if plugged into the 7-pin socket I could run backup lights. This would let me tow 4-pin trailers or 7-pin, as well as allow others with either to tow my trailer.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get the backup wire from the trailer lights into the 4 to 7-pin adapter to plug into the car. So far I've only found adapters that drop all but the 4 lines.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Beaulieu
I'm still working on a plan. I doubt Audi will provide anything useful.

My current idea is to cut off the 13-pin connector, install a 3-2 powered converter and a 4 to 7-pin adapter on the car. Although it's been stated that the Audi lights are already isolated, I can't verify that and would rather be safe than sorry. Curt has an adapter that, if unplugged from the converter, I could hook up the trailer directly to the converter, or if plugged into the 7-pin socket I could run backup lights. This would let me tow 4-pin trailers or 7-pin, as well as allow others with either to tow my trailer.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get the backup wire from the trailer lights into the 4 to 7-pin adapter to plug into the car. So far I've only found adapters that drop all but the 4 lines.
Todd, would you have the full size version of this attached image for p/n reference.

I am in the same shoes as all of you, wanting to use my 05 allroad for towing but not sure what to do with the wiring. So if you can keep me in the loop with the OE harness or any other solution that works, that would be cool.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diodes would probably be the way to do it, and it's not complicated. Let's see, righty tighty, right hand rule, electrons flow toward umm, well, now you know why I tend to associate a smoke smell with diodes. 8^P

I've rented trailers with various different connectors, so a 7-pin with a set of adapters in the car seems like the way to go.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used to use diodes for EVERYTHING! I loved diodes! I even used 'em to double up my headlights on highbeams in my Subaru years ago. Lows used one filament, highs another. I changed it to run 'em both on highs.

Anywho ... my issue isn't with circuitry, but rather physical connectors. The adpater Curt spec'd for me to go from the 4 trailer to the 7 car only carries 4 wires. I need that with an additional wire for the backup light. I don't NEED to do 7 pin and backup lights, but I figured it would be cool.

The #'s from the diagram (I had to shrink it to fit) are:

That's not a done deal though. I'll post a better list as soon as I have the research done. Keep in mind that anyone can cut the 13 pin off and buy a converter and be done with it tomorrow if they're happy with the 4 pin.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try to make up an adapter with pins to fit into the Audi connector before I cut it off.

From my experience using those independently powered adapters to supply trailer power, tapping into Audi wiring to signal the powered adapter leads to "bulb out" warnings flashing whenever you have your lights on. I've done it on two Audi 200q20vs and gotten the same result: Trailer lights all work wonderfully because they have a separate power supply, but the bulb-out warning is triggered forever.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, skideeppow, is that shop a franchise? Is it somewhere near Snowmass/Aspen?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm confused about the powered converter. I thought the whole idea was to NOT tap into the built in lights, drawing power from those lines, in favor of using relays. Are you saying I should use an unpowered converter and have the trailer lights draw from the supplied lines?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Hey, skideeppow, is that shop a franchise? Is it somewhere near Snowmass/Aspen?
Yes it is in old snowmass, they do all my ar and a4 work. GREAT GUYS
i have asked justmtnb44 to help me out. My dad was an ee and i should have paid more attention. he would have had this **** figured out.
Thanks for all the info.
I also talked to audi and from what i gather, there is no way you can get euro parts delivered here (oem audi parts i should say) unless you have a bill of sale showing that you have an european car purchased properly.

Quick Reply: AR Electric installation for a trailer connection