Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

AR Electric installation for a trailer connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see my post about the auxiliary switch embedded in the socket block? Take a look and investigate accordingly. There's a normally open/normally closed setup that hooks into the fog lights and the parktronic module.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I saw that, but it's not clear from the pic how the switch is connected to the socket. Do you know which pin(s) from the socket go to that switch (before I take mine apart)?

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 05-04-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can send the hi res photo to you if you'd like. I have to shrink these photos so tiny to allow them to upload!

NONE of the pins from the socket go to that connector. It's mounted next to the connector. When you push the plug into the opening, The second plug is wired into "the harness" alongside the 13 pin connector.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I get it now and figured it out. The switch that disables the Parktronic is a separeate microswitch that is activated when the outer connector shell is plugged in. I was only testing it before on the center pin portion, without the outer part. It now works 100% fine best I can tell.

So in summation, $20 Euro connector + $13 4 pin wiring converter = $100 Audi part.

I have more of the Euro connectors for whoever else needs one, just send me a pm to get one.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
On Saturday I finally received the mating Euro connectors I ordered. I put one together with this converter module. All trailer lights work as expected, and no warning lights are trigged in the car. However, it is not disabling the backup sensors. That must be tied in to a pin I'm not using, so I'll have to do some testing and find out which one it is.
do you always have to remove the silver plate when you tow? or is that just for demonstration purposes?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tamas
do you always have to remove the silver plate when you tow? or is that just for demonstration purposes?
Umm, yes well I do for now because I was in a hurry to finish building the hitch and I couldn't check the clearances for the electrical connector. So as it is now, yes I do have to remove the "skid plate" when towing in order to swing down the connector. I have already addressed that in my new design, and eventually when I have a free weekend will take mine apart again to fix it.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've got mine all hooked up and it works just fine.

The skid plate stays on. No 13 pin shinnanegins. No swing down, pop up, slide over nuthing. Just plain towing.

Total time to wire in the 3-2 converter: 20 minutes, including soldering, cleaning the joints with alcohol and a nice tight tape wrap.

Seriously .. do you really care about preserving the European specific, USA ignorant connector? Will you ever live to hear yourself say "Dang, I wish I still had that 13 pin connector so I could tow this Euro trailer!"? I seriously doubt it. Cut the stupid thing off and get to towing. You'll never look back.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Todd Beaulieu; 05-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jasontaylor7 (09-11-2023)
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Yup.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Todd Beaulieu
I've got mine all hooked up and it works just fine.

The skid plate stays on. No 13 pin shinnanegins. No swing down, pop up, slide over nuthing. Just plain towing.

Total time to wire in the 3-2 converter: 20 minutes, including soldering, cleaning the joints with alcohol and a nice tight tape wrap.

Seriously .. do you really care about preserving the European specific, USA ignorant connector? Will you ever live to hear yourself say "Dang, I wish I still had that 13 pin connector so I could tow this Euro trailer!"? I seriously doubt it. Cut the stupid thing off and get to towing. You'll never look back.
Can you post the pic that shows what the entire set up looks like? Do you have exposed wires or is it clean?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll take a pic tomorrow, but there's really not much to show! The skid plate's on, there is a cubby on each side of the hitch to sock away the excess wiring, connector and converter. Even the 4-pin connector gets stashed up inside when not in use.

Quick Reply: AR Electric installation for a trailer connection