Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

ar Paint ... surprised at how rough it is with my first wax appication

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ar Paint ... surprised at how rough it is with my first wax appication

I put wax on my 2 week old ar yesterday and was very surprised at how rough the paint is, compared to my Boxster. I apply the wax with my bare hand, and with the Boxster it is like silk, with no rough texture at all., After the wax is polished off the silkiness is even more pronounced.

With the ar it was almost like putting wax onto a piece of standard laserprinter paper, and after polishing it was not appreciably better.

Is this typical with the new generation audis? My 91 Coupe had a much smoother paint surface than this ... it makes me wonder if they missed a polishing stage in the painting.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:11 AM

Default A little strange...

I haven't waxed the allroad yet (freakin labor day rain) but the paint on my S4 actually seemed to be smoother than our Boxster.

Must be the beige ;-)
Old 09-03-2002, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It sounds as if you have overspray on your car. "Clay" the car and then wax again.

from <A HREF="http://www.zainobros.com">http://www.zainobros.com</A>

<A HREF="http://www.zainobros.com/files/z18.htm">Z-18 ClayBar</A>

Z-18 ClayBar removes imbedded contamination from the paint finish that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods. Z-18 is non-abrasive and works like no cleaner, compound or chemical can and is safe for use on all paint finishes. The following contaminants are a general description of some of the contaminants that Z-18 ClayBar removes. *Rail dust- is actually tiny, sharp bare metal shavings that can adhere and imbed in the paint finish and cause serious damage when left untreated. Over 70% of new vehicles are transported from the factory using the rail system, therefore rail dust is present on new vehicles. There are many instances where a vehicle travels or is parked near a railroad in which case the finish is infected with rail dust. *Brake dust- similar to rail dust, brake dust is also in the form of tiny, sharp bare metal shavings. In recent years, asbestos brake pads were replaced with metallic brake pads, which are actually brake pads made from tiny metal or metallic shavings. Anytime a vehicle is braking; brake dust is disbursed into the air and onto the paint finish. Since the brake dust is now actually tiny particles of bare metal, this form of brake dust can seriously damage the paint finish when left untreated. * Industrial fallout- is the general term used for pollution and can be found in many forms. Eventually, pollution settles onto the paint finish of all vehicles and can cause serious damage when left untreated. *Tree sap, Road tar, Bug residue, Paint overspray, acid rain deposits and other contaminants that adhere and imbed into the paint finish can cause damage when left untreated. Contaminants that are left on the paint surface can weaken the protective properties and even cause serious damage to the paint finish after a short time. Z-18 ClayBar is optional, but highly recommended as the ultimate way to truly clean the paint finish and prepare the surface for Zaino polish.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:34 AM

Sounds like rail dust. Tarwater's right; get out the old clay bar...
Old 09-03-2002, 07:19 AM

Default I'm suprised how easy the paint chips

The paint on my allroad seems to be pretty delicate. I've got all kinds of chips out of it and I'm under 8ooo miles. Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing the chips besides regular touch up paint?

Thanks,

Old 09-03-2002, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had really bad overspray on my ar after some bodywork

The guys that did the body work really messed up and got overspray ALL over the car. It felt like 320 grit sandpaper. I took it to Momentum in Houston and their detail man 'clayed' the entire car. Now it feels like glass and the shine is incredible.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:31 AM

Default Thanks for the responses. Would I not expect the paint finish to be covered ...

under warranty, and if a detail shop needs to be used to clean it up, so be it? I will call the sales rep I dealt with tomorrow to discuss ... I appreciate knowing that it SHOULD be silky smooth.

LCB