Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott 20% off code is 42S82-UU2 and will work the 24th-28th....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott 20% off code is 42S82-UU2 and will work the 24th-28th....

I also am supposed to receive re-design info on the Bilsteins today for those that have been curious as to what was done to prevent any future clunking.

The second main question is the dust sleeves which are to be free to all Gen II owners when they arrive. I was told that they are being shipped in now but they wont have them until the end of July.

Remember that the Mercedes compressor will work for the allroad with very little modification and is cheaper. They Gen II's can only be replaced in sets (front or rears) and the Gen I's can be bought in single units and mixed in with OEM airbags with no issues.

Let me know if anyone has anything else to ask them (within reason of course).

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...rts_yid17.html

Here is a graphic from Arnott on the revisions to the shocks:

Last edited by ricam78; 06-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I posted the revised shock graphic above for those that are interested in the changes
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok !! But beside the "clunk", i have heard not to good comments on the Bilstein shocks, for example: that they a lot "stiffer" than the OEM !!
In the next few weeks i am planning to change my airsprings and shocks. I am sold to Arnott's GenII airspring but yet not on the Bilstein shocks. I will also put on the Hotchkist sway bar.
I would appreciate all comments on the handling of your AR with the "bilsteins"
Ciao!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stiffer is better esp if you are getting H-sports. By the way, PureMS has a coupon code right now and the H-Sports on sale making them abotu $415 shipped (In the US). I know there are a lot of positive Bilstein reviews over at Quattroworld in the allroad forum as I am sure there are a lot here also. Do some searching around and email some members that have had them installed for a while and get their thoughts. Best of luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ricam78
Stiffer is better esp if you are getting H-sports. By the way, PureMS has a coupon code right now and the H-Sports on sale making them abotu $415 shipped (In the US). I know there are a lot of positive Bilstein reviews over at Quattroworld in the allroad forum as I am sure there are a lot here also. Do some searching around and email some members that have had them installed for a while and get their thoughts. Best of luck.
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about the sway bars also. Did you have the coupon code for the purems handy? One quick question though, did you also replace the sway links when you did the sway bars or just use stock?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Swaybars are one of the best mods you can do on the allroad. Endlinks I kept the same OEM, but they can be upgraded with the ones from the rear bars on the WRX. Considered it but not needed.

COUPON CODE:
Use coupon code NEWWEB at the time of checkout for 10% off any order over $50 (coupon valid until 6/30)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To the Montrealer...

Of course, this is all subjective and personal...but to me...the idea of having an 'air suspension' and putting on stiffer shocks just doesn't make any sense. I've been in plenty of allroads with the Bilsteins and I'm still not impressed. I felt like the ride was ruined. I was surprised that they 'clunked' too, its almost like Bilstein never real-world tested them before sending them out to be sold to the masses.

I went OEM shocks all around again with Gen 1 Arnotts on my 01'...the ride is completely acceptable (including a 20mm drop via 402 mod).

If someone auto-xes or tracks their car...then the stock set-up would certainly be the weak link. Deleting the whole system in favor of coil-overs or conventional struts is the way to go....but then, you have taken away what makes an allroad and allroad.

Many times, just putting on new OE swaybar bushings can make a huge difference in handling; especially on cars with miles. The shop is always doing this; its cheap and makes it all crisp again. Consider that these cars are getting old and all the suspension's rubber bits degrade the fastest, regardless of how well one maintains their car.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just wanted to remind everyone that this starts tonight at midnight
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

To all(over)road,
thanks for this excellent "mise au point". I will certainly pay a serious attention to these comments.
My AR is at 250,000 km ( 156,000 miles), still in very good conditions. My plan, in the next few weeks is to put 4 new air springs and shocks, at least the sway bars bushings and links (if not the hotchkist), new tires, a tranny "review", an APR-stage 1 and few other things.
IN medium term i am looking for a TT 2010-11 steering wheel (with paddles).
I am confident that it will run for an other 150 000 km and even more....I will run it to the end anyway ................
Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for fruitful infomation.
Our old Japanese GEN II users are asking and curious what is the current designed dust sleeve or dust cover?
This seems to cover around air spring to prevent dust sticking.
Anyone can post picture of this parts?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Arnott 20% off code is 42S82-UU2 and will work the 24th-28th....