Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott air springs & Bilstein shocks installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott air springs & Bilstein shocks installed

front left (driver side) OEM air spring sagged at around 134K miles. Normally drive in Level 1; no sagging in Levels 2, 3 or 4. Ordered the Arnott air springs and Bilstein shocks; ground delivery arrived in 7 days from Florida to Los Angeles, California. Installed at local indy shop on 28 May 2009, tech completed in 2 hours. first impression of 30 minutes driving on surface road was like driving the allroad when it was first acquired in Jan 2004; tight and solid. most noticeable characteristic was going over high bumps on the road; the bilstein dampens relatively quicker than the aging OEM shocks. personally, I like the feel of the new front suspension. will need more milage on them to be less subjective. rear suspension is still OEM. more update later. the bilstein shock part number is F4-B36-2081-H0 if anyone is curious. it comes with an aluminum sleeve just like the image posted on the Arnott's website.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have fitted Bilsteins to previous, coil sprung, Audis. They have always benefitted from being re-valved up by as much as 25% and still make for a compliant road ride. No I don't like over stiff shocks.
So how do these rate, have they got the valving right? I wonder how they settled upon the valving that is in them now?
In mine I think I'd do the rears first.
Do you have the Hotchkiss sway bar(s) fitted?
Please do keep us updated.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

can I buy the side that didn't sag?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

hey Sam, i dont have the h-sport bar on mine; completely stock. elaborate on the valving, i dont understand. if youre referring to the valve that connects the air hose to the air spring then this is my set up. a new valve was included with the purchase of the Arnott air spring. i didn't use it. the existing valve fitted just fine in the Arnott. if this is not what youre referring to then please elaborate.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

some users would recommend just replacing the failed air spring and reuse existing parts. i decided to replace both front left and right air springs. and since i'm in there i did the shocks too. i'm very pleased with the ride and handling; not too stiff and not too soft in level setting 1.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you hang onto the side that didn't sag, I'd like to buy that from you just in case one of mine goes out & I don't have the time/money to buy all new
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more photos !
Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you by chance still have the old worn out blown parts? Please please do! I really need a set of dead ones to use as a mock up for my custom instal - I would GLADY pay you shipping and beer money for them.

Thanks so much!

Doug
Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

sam, i get it now. Arnott sells bilstein F4-B36-2081-H0 for the allroad application. according to the bilstein website this shock is rate as sport (SP). I drove 60 miles mostly freeway today an my second opinion that the ride with these bilstein shocks up front are slightly stiffer as compared to the originally installed shocks. maybe its because i've become accustomed to the softer ride as the oem shocks aged or these bistein are just plain stiffer. i will get 4 new tires in about a month or so and will report back on the subjective performance.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you get it now. The problem with my, as yet, standard AR is not the compression damping, it's the rebound. If Arnott/Bilstein have done their homework right the car will have relatively soft compression damping but quite stiff rebound. That should mean a nice, not harsh, ride but with tight control of suspension movement. it's a balance between jarring over small bumps vs undulation over large bumps.
I assume Arnott/Bilstein tried a number of different valving setups before going to market.
I do recommend the sway bar.
Enjoy, I'm jealous!

Quick Reply: Arnott air springs & Bilstein shocks installed