Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott air springs & Bilstein shocks installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, thanks for the clarification. "soft compression damping and stiff rebound" sounds about right. but i need imperical data to substantiate this claim; j/k. but i like to think Arnott has done its homework. thanks for the recommendation on the h-sport anti-sway bar. been putting it off long enough, will get them soon.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI.. OEM stock shocks are crap at about 60-80K.

We just get used to the ride and never really know it. I replaced my OEM shocks with OEM socks at 140K...(before Arnott had the bilsteins). The difference is night and day.
I now just added two Arnott front air springs and the ride is as good if not better than new.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do the Arnott air springs ride stiffer by them selves do you think? Since they look a little more "solid" than the OEM bulge looking bags I wondered if they are a little more firm?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think they ride the same.All the basically do is change the elevation and don't really dampen.I will be doing a Bilstein upgrade soon on all 4 corners.If you still need them you can have my old ones.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Dungbeeltle, we are now spoiled for choice
standard/standard
Arnott/standard
standard/Bilstein
Arnott/Bilstein
and don't forget the swaybar!
We need a bunch of allroaders with nothing to do to fit up all those combinations and report back.
Me? I'd rather go skiing!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am still looking for some junk ones. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the same repair a couple months ago, both fronts. car felt much tighter but over time the lower control arm ball joints have all started clunking, I have changed one out, three to go, have the parts just short on the time. with the one I know once they are completed it i can tell it will feel like a new car. Need to look at the master valve system because the car still sinks if it is left in level one overnight. new struts + airbags it must be a leak somewhere else.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

cameltrophyallroad, hate to hear about ralated parts failing after a repair. how did the control arm ball joints indicate that they were failing? was there suspension noise while driving? i've only accumulated 80 miles since the air springs and shocks replacement on 5/28/09. sounds like i may need to be prepared for this issue as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by allroad2point7t
front left (driver side) OEM air spring sagged at around 134K miles. Normally drive in Level 1; no sagging in Levels 2, 3 or 4. Ordered the Arnott air springs and Bilstein shocks; ground delivery arrived in 7 days from Florida to Los Angeles, California. Installed at local indy shop on 28 May 2009, tech completed in 2 hours. first impression of 30 minutes driving on surface road was like driving the allroad when it was first acquired in Jan 2004; tight and solid. most noticeable characteristic was going over high bumps on the road; the bilstein dampens relatively quicker than the aging OEM shocks. personally, I like the feel of the new front suspension. will need more milage on them to be less subjective. rear suspension is still OEM. more update later. the bilstein shock part number is F4-B36-2081-H0 if anyone is curious. it comes with an aluminum sleeve just like the image posted on the Arnott's website.
Hi. Are you sure that the Bilstein shocks you're using are F4-B36-2081-H0's? I ask because Arnott doesn't call this out on their site, and when I call them, they can't give me the part number. I'd go ahead and buy from them, but if you're right, they're charging a premium. I can get these particular shocks elsewhere for $100 less. Unfortunately, the other supplier doesn't list this shock as compatible with the Allroad.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lokela
Hi. Are you sure that the Bilstein shocks you're using are F4-B36-2081-H0's? I ask because Arnott doesn't call this out on their site, and when I call them, they can't give me the part number. I'd go ahead and buy from them, but if you're right, they're charging a premium. I can get these particular shocks elsewhere for $100 less. Unfortunately, the other supplier doesn't list this shock as compatible with the Allroad.
Thats because Arnott has machined adapters for them

Quick Reply: Arnott air springs & Bilstein shocks installed