Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott Bilstein - revalving

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Arnott Bilstein - revalving

Has anybody revalved the Arnott Bilstein Allroad shocks?
Any experience?
What valving works best?

Background: I am running the Arnott Gen2 air bags, and the stock shocks are clearly underdampened. No surprise, it the Gen2 are in deed stiffer.

I had contacted Arnott several time regarding technical information on their Gen2 springs (sales talk: 30% stiffer; but when ask what IS the spring rate: blanks).

I had also contacted Arnott to arrange purchase of their "Arnott Bilstein" shocks INCLUDING revalving by Bilstein (they order from Bilstein, so why not have one set of their next shipment revalved). NO answer.

I have talked to Bilstein directly, and they do offer custom revalving for their shocks (IIRC $75 per shock).

Arnott does not have the spring rate for their Gen2 stocks (they may not even know it or ever attempted to measure it).
Bilstein will revalve to any specification (but they do not have a recommendation for the Bilstein; hence the need to get FACTS (aside from a sales guy saying 'oh, they are stiffer, like 30%).

Just does not make sense to me ship a shock 4 times (Bilstein to Arnott, Arnott to me, me to Bilstein, Bilstein to me).

Plus would be nice to have experience from users:
Gen2 with stock
Gen2 with Arnott/Bilstein
Gen2 with revalved Arnott/Bilstein.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Has anybody revalved the Arnott Bilstein Allroad shocks?
Any experience?
What valving works best?

Background: I am running the Arnott Gen2 air bags, and the stock shocks are clearly underdampened. No surprise, it the Gen2 are in deed stiffer.

I had contacted Arnott several time regarding technical information on their Gen2 springs (sales talk: 30% stiffer; but when ask what IS the spring rate: blanks).

I had also contacted Arnott to arrange purchase of their "Arnott Bilstein" shocks INCLUDING revalving by Bilstein (they order from Bilstein, so why not have one set of their next shipment revalved). NO answer.

I have talked to Bilstein directly, and they do offer custom revalving for their shocks (IIRC $75 per shock).

Arnott does not have the spring rate for their Gen2 stocks (they may not even know it or ever attempted to measure it).
Bilstein will revalve to any specification (but they do not have a recommendation for the Bilstein; hence the need to get FACTS (aside from a sales guy saying 'oh, they are stiffer, like 30%).

Just does not make sense to me ship a shock 4 times (Bilstein to Arnott, Arnott to me, me to Bilstein, Bilstein to me).

Plus would be nice to have experience from users:
Gen2 with stock
Gen2 with Arnott/Bilstein
Gen2 with revalved Arnott/Bilstein.
Almost 6 years later and no response - did you get anywhere with this? I just installed a set of gen2 with Arnott/Bilstein and they are bouncing like crazy - I suspect blown shocks. Would rather have them revalved to better specs instead of just rebuilt to the stock specs...
Old 01-25-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NEAllroad
Almost 6 years later and no response - did you get anywhere with this? I just installed a set of gen2 with Arnott/Bilstein and they are bouncing like crazy - I suspect blown shocks. Would rather have them revalved to better specs instead of just rebuilt to the stock specs...
No, never got any further with Arnott to get the Bilstein revalved since I did not get any input with respect to desired values for Bilstein to do the revalving.
Instead, I fabricated custom Koni shocks with input from a Russion Alroad enthusiast. Unfortunately, I still don't have them installed (car is waiting for swap engine with rods to be assembled and installed).
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arnott stopped carrying the Bilstein brand of shocks about five or six years ago.

Last edited by ArnottDoug; 01-26-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArnottDoug
Arnott stopped carrying the Bilstein brand of shocks about five or six years ago.
What shocks are they selling now?

There was nothing wrong with the Bilstein, except they Arnott had them valved wrong, not matching their air springs.

When talking to Arnott to get the required INPUT parameters needed to have Bilstein revalve them for me ("what is the spring rate of your air spring" (they claim 25% stiffer than stock); then "if you don't know your spring rate, what is the stock air spring rate (since they advertise 25% you would think they know both values). "what valving did you specify for the shocks Bilstein makes for you", etc), it became clear they don't have a clue and just hammered something together that can be made to fit the Allroad (physically).