Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott coil spring kit v. gen II air springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott coil spring kit v. gen II air springs

It has come time to replace my 2002 Allroad air suspension. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has recently replaced with the Arnott coil spring kit. I do not use the ride height adjust much, and like the idea of the Arnott bilstein coil spring conversion kit if it works. I am a little concerned due to all the posts about the "bilstein clunk." Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed? What do people think about the coil spring conversion option vs. the gen II air spring option?

Any feedback greatly appreciated! thanks- Max
Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Clunk is fixed.A lot of people who have converted didn't like the ride.Also it takes away what's attractive about the ar.Think resale
Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
Clunk is fixed.A lot of people who have converted didn't like the ride.Also it takes away what's attractive about the ar.Think resale
Clunk seems to be fixed only for GEN2, but have not put any countermeasure for the Bilstein shocks built for coil over.
My friend is still not happy with their coil over's clunk.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

Cluck is just fixed for the Air Suspension, not for the Coil Spring Conversion Kit. Yesterday, Arnott mentioned that the shock absorbers for the conversion are completely different and they have had no trouble at all with the conversion kit. So, the shock absorbers for the conversion have never had a "fix".

The message from Arnott have been disappointing, because I have had a ride problem after installing the conversion kit in the last December, and it is becoming much worse these days.

I hope Arnott would acknowledge the problem of conversion kit and apply the modification to the shock absorbers in the near future.

Until then, I can't recommend the conversion kit.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for my typo. I made a correction.

Hi,

Clunk is just fixed for the Air Suspension, not for the Coil Spring Conversion Kit. Yesterday, Arnott mentioned that the shock absorbers for the conversion are completely different and they have had no trouble at all with the conversion kit. So, the shock absorbers for the conversion have never had a "fix".

The message from Arnott have been disappointing, because I have had a ride problem after installing the conversion kit in the last December, and it is becoming much worse these days.

I hope Arnott would acknowledge the problem of conversion kit and apply the modification to the shock absorbers in the near future.

Until then, I can't recommend the conversion kit.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

i don't think the shock absorbers for the coil conversion kit have had no trouble at all.
Because of the small user population by comparison with air springs, the trouble informations were few, but still some users seem to be complaining about it.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/36849.phtml

i think Arnott have provided very good service for their user, and they have been satified with it.
however actually some users seem to be still expecting and hoping next development with Bilstein for coil spring conversion.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks, sounds like the airspring is the way to go
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Gen II air springs with original OEM shocks on the front of my allroad and I really don't like them. In fact I may go back to Gen I springs. The ride is just too harsh for the bumpy roads we have around here. And L1 is less floaty but more bouncy due to increased spring rate but same damping. If you live in an area with mostly smooth roads then they would be great. The Gen II air springs are 30% stiffer than stock in all settings.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Gen II's with (fixed) Bilstiens.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mike B
I love my Gen II's with (fixed) Bilstiens.
Hi,

Do you think the (fixed) Bilsteins are offering better ride quality not only preventing "clunk" ?

If so, it is also a good news for the users of the conversion kit. I suppose the Bilsteins for the conversion might have similar problem,although Arnott had stressed that the Bilsteins for the conversion kit were completely different.

To the users of conversion :
We need to request Arnott to investigate a problem of Bilsteins for the conversion seriously. I believe most users are not happy with it.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Arnott coil spring kit v. gen II air springs