Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott strut clunking and twisted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott strut clunking and twisted?

2005 Allroad 2.7 6MT:

replaced my right front air strut about 9 months ago with a new Arnott assembly including the lower shock. It had developed a pronounced clunk in the front end in the past few months. I was pretty sure it was the upper control arm bushings, I noted them being torn when I did the strut, but I didn’t replace them then because I couldn’t get the pinch bolt out.

So now, after overcoming procrastination, I jacked it up to try getting the bolt out. I’ve done it before with heat and eventually drilling, so no big deal. But on inspection, I have found that the gaiter on the strut is physically twisted (see pic below). The strut holds air fine. The car hasn’t sagged at all, even when left parked for two weeks. But the front ends is rather noisy. I don’t think it’s all due to the strut. There are many older components that I’m working on replacing.

In 25 years of backyard wrenching, I’ve never seen this before. I couldn’t find anyone else who had seen it when I searched on Google.

Has anyone seen this before? Or maybe have an idea what’s happening? It’s Saturday and Arnott isn’t answering the phone, so I plan on calling them back Monday. But I’m really hoping that someone can give some advice.

Last edited by lkstk; 06-15-2024 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Misspelled title