Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi A6 allroad full size spare tyre?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 allroad full size spare tyre?

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum having just bought a A6 (C6) allroad. So far I can report I'm delighted with the car, however there's one thing I'm not entirely impressed with: the spacesaver spare.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does the spare wheel cavity accept a full size spare wheel with pre-inflated tyre?

2. If so, where do I find a steel (to use as the spare) alternative to the hellishly expensive alloys?

3. If I'm doing this do I need to replace all the tyres to ensure the four wheel drive system isn't taxed?

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most of us are C5 owners, mate.
If you don't get many suggestions, then that might be why.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Use that tool to figure out what size tyre/wheel combo will result in the least amount of difference.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm 95% sure my spare is 'full size'...it's just not inflated
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Allroad has a taller tire than the A6. It will not fit when inflated.

There is no reason to have a deflated spare and throw in a compressor just for kicks.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

The allroad also came with a compressor but if not they're cheap anyway.
My tires are slightly taller than what my spare will be after it's inflated. I'm not worried about it for the distance that I'd drive with a spare anyway.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi All, Thanks for your input, seems there's no clear answer and perhaps 09mehashaw is right I may be in the wrong place to ask this question.

Interesting points made about having a partially inflated full size spare and using the compressor to top it off. I suppose I'm used to having a tyre I can pull out and mount without further hassle. I drive in remote parts of the UK, often in the Scottish highlands and islands through much of the year and I like to know I have a reliable spare.

I just find it really odd that 4x4 vehicles are so often provided without a full size spare these days and what's even more baffling is that the space inside doesn't make provision for one (one of the things I noted when looking at a VW Touareg!). The space saver spare with reduced running speed can be a real hindrance if you have to get somewhere by a particular time; think planes, trains and ferries, which are a large part of my life. Additionally in the case of real 4x4 vehicles what are you supposed to do with a spacesaver offroad on the side of a mountain?! I understand the manufacturer's thinking in terms of saving weight and therefore lowering emissions, but I can't fathom the designer's decision to make the space too small to accommodate a full size spare.

I think I'll have to speak to my local Audi dealership to see what advice they have. I suppose is push comes to shove I'll end up putting a spare in a bag in the boot, a pain in terms of the space lost.

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audibydesign
I understand the manufacturer's thinking in terms of saving weight and therefore lowering emissions, but I can't fathom the designer's decision to make the space too small to accommodate a full size spare.
I suspect that it is more a question of providing a larger fuel tank for those who actually go off road as filling stations in those areas tend to be very rare.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

I run 245/40/17s on both my cars, a C5 A6 and a B5 A4.

On both cars, the matching size tire will just barely fit when completely deflated. On one car, I think the A4, I have to remove the chrome trim plate to get the tire out. Bit of a PITA, but I like to have the fifth matching wheel/tire.

I carry a small air compressor in the A4. It gets used at autocrosses. For the A6, I carry a combo jump box and air compressor. The jump box gets more use.

Last edited by urs6_ma; 06-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone thought of mounting the spare wheel on the rear door? Is there a kit on the market? What are the likely consequences in terms of damaged bodywork/failing door hinges or struts?
Of course there's always the roof or even the bonnet (early Land Rover style)...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
I run 245/40/17s on both my cars, a C5 A6 and a B5 A4.
What size rims do you run on the two cars? Either of them stock?

Quick Reply: Audi A6 allroad full size spare tyre?