Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi allroad Generation-II failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi allroad Generation-II failure

A friend of Russia has found a failure with an Air Spring Arnott of the second generation, I try to translate his article

"I found the design problem with the second generation air spring Arnott
Indeed they have the problem of long lives if they are used on bad roads.

Let me explain. In the first pictures of new inflated balloon. We see that the rolling folds 1 cm beyond the guide comes out, it kind of scary and not because this position corresponds to the wheel and hung out in everyday use is not common.

On the second pictures inflated balloon poezzhenny. We see that now roll fold emerges already at more than 2 cm How did it happen? Rubber cuff pressure slowly stretches and that's fine, but she clutched the sides of the guide and she has nowhere to go except down, where it climbs to freedom, away from the pipe too short. Bumps and humps on the road, with which abound in our direction, with a sharp contraction during this hernia does not always have time to get out into the track and blown up and frays on its lower edge, which is perfectly visible on the pictures.

And this is not an isolated case.
Treatment is very simple, but perhaps only at the production stage. You just need to lengthen the pipe rail at 3-4 cm or relocate an existing napravlyayku on the same 3-4cm below the sleeve pnevmoballona and all - the problem will be solved. Why US-based Arnott did not want to do it, I do not understand, because the operation does not require any sort of investment. And while I stopped to put the 2nd generation and general counsel for its installation.

I do not think that they are not interested in a vast and rich Russian market, and it can easily lose because of this bull****!

In the photo cuff inside out and twisted as can be seen, the destruction of the container takes place in the area of the lower cutoff guide ...
And yet, it seems that the inner layer of rubber raw, ie, not cured ..."
Attached Images     
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Arnott has a life time warranty!
They should merit that regardless of geographic location!
I don't care if I have my allroad on the moon with some Gen 2's; if they break, I would want some new ones.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shipping to and from Russia ISN'T warrantied tho (I bet).

Interesting info...thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You enjoy replacing parts?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Generation 2

Check air pressure sensor G-291. in off road driving under certain conditions when the bag is open All the way in high- 2. If the pressure is too high the rubber bag can go over the tip of the lid And roll in the opposite way on The the lid from the outside. Perhaps it's the sign you see on the the lid at the bottom. (The Releases over pressure is Activated over 20 Bar) You have a life time warranty!
Contact the manufacturer.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another possibility. Sensor height of this wheel is not functioning at times. Check fault codes.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by finiki
You enjoy replacing parts?
Yes the parts were replaced by Arnott free
The car had no problem with the suspention air (no default with VCDS!) And the height adjustment suspention was done correctly! 2- position 420mm!

This is not the first time this kind of problem arises supention the Arnott-II IMHO it's the design problem!

You just need to lengthen the pipe rail at 3-4 cm or relocate an existing pipe on the same 3-4cm below the sleeve of Air Spring and all - the problem will be solved.

In Russia the tribe uses the Protection of Pipes by Spring Air Allroad long time ago. But our construction is slightly different from Arnott-II, and You We never had a problem described above!

Personally I made myself the tubes on my Spring Air approval for conduct is different!
Attached Images    
Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice idea should be examined over time.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Or immediately by Arnott.