Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi Goodwill Buy Back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Goodwill Buy Back?

So, any thoughts on this Allroad that is an Audi Goodwill Buy Back? Anybody deal with one of these before? Thanks for any suggestions as I try to work multiple angles to pick up an AR!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewitem&amp;item=2425117042&amp;ssP ageName=ADME:X:ON:US:2<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewitem&amp;item=2425117042&amp;ssP ageName=ADME:X:ON:US:2">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewitem&amp;item=2425117042&amp;ssP ageName=ADME:X:ON:US:2</a</li></ul>
Old 07-25-2003, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Audi Goodwill Buy Back?

Doesn't look like a bad deal at all for the right price, and the seller appears to be very upfront with nothing to hide. He also has a good feedback rating....only one complaint by a
"0" feedback user......probably bogus. You would still have the warranty on your side if something does crop up. I don't know if the repurchase would show up in the cars history, but it most likely would, and then it would be a little harder to sell/trade in the future. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experience with buy-backs...

I had a Chevy Tahoe with consistent brake failure problems.

On occasion, when going around a right hand turn at 40-50 mph (can you say exit ramp?) when I depressed the brake pedal, it would be rock hard and would not depress for a second. No brakes at 50mph for a second translates into 73 feet travelled with no brakes.

Dealer replaced pads, rotors, calipers, master cylinder, brake booster, antilock prake controller.... nothing worked.

Factory rep drove the car for 2 weeks and said-"I only experienced the brake failure once" and deemed the car "repaired". Now, it only takes "once" for a child to run in front of the car 50ft in front of me to turn into a tragedy.

After 2 months of not driving the Tahoe, I finally convinced GM to give me another vehicle. They did a Goodwill buy back and handed me keys to another Tahoe (which performed flawlessly).

Here's the kicker- I found out THEY SOLD the Tahoe on a Chevy dealer's lot in rural Virginia. Their position was that they replaced all the parts in the system so it was a saleable vehicle. Keep in mind that even the regional rep experienced brake failure after all parts had been replaced. And that I stopped driving it for fear of an accident or worse.

So I would RUN AWAY from any buy back vehicle. Not that AoA would go to the extreme that GM did, but why take the chance, just to save a few thousand $$
Old 07-25-2003, 07:38 AM

Default I wouldn't recommend it

My '01 AR was a buy back and the car was a complete mess of electrical problems (you can do a search for previous posts). It was difficult enough to get them to buy back my car, so I don't believe his statement about AoA buying back their cars as a result of their scandal of the '80s. The guy is just misleading you into thinking that the car has a minor problem. It doesn't. As far as the problem being fixed, who knows? I think that the title should be clean, because it was purchased before it could be declared a "lemon".

My personal opinion is buying a new Audi is a gamble, but buying a goodwill buy back car is setting yourself up for problems in future. But I love the car and would do it all over again.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:14 AM

Default That sucks, must have been morons......

not being able to fix a brake problem before a buyback.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:19 AM

Default Why do you think buying a new Audi is a gamble?

My AR will be my fourth one now.....never had any serious trouble whatsoever. Have many friends with BMW, Mercedes, even Acura, Infinity, and Lexus that have had it worse, and in some cases much worse.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed. The dealer was great, but ...

had to get authorization from GM for each part they replaced because "they couldn't find a failure."

Dealer Service Director was driving my truck home at night to try to figure out the cause of the problem. But it never left a fault code. And might only happen once or twice a week so it was difficult to diagnose.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Just look at the some of the posts on these forums...

It seems like you either get one that performs flawless or you get one that is full of problems. It's the luck of the draw. My first AR was a lemon but my second is perfect. I have owned my share of Acuras and Hondas previous to my Audi and never had any kind of problem with them. I guess you can attribute that to the fact that the AR is much more complex of a vehicle than any of those Acuras.

I love my Audi and will have to think twice about going back to Acura, even though my AR has had its problems. Part of that is because the dealer experience has been great.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thats got to be one of the all time greatest quotes " I only ...

experienced the brake failure once". You should have driven the car right through the dealers window at that point. Oops, second brake failure!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Audi Goodwill Buy Back?

AoA is buying back my Allroad for warping eight sets of rotors in under a year. AoA has replaced/turned/aligned/pretty much tried everything. AoA has taken the position that the warped rotors is caused by my driving...yeah...the factory rep flat out asked me if I put the car on the track...but didn't bother to check the tires to see normal wear! And no, I didn't nor have I put the car on the track...just drove it normally!

Quick Reply: Audi Goodwill Buy Back?