Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Bad air spring or compressor, how can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad air spring or compressor, how can I tell?

So how do I tell if I have a bad air spring or compressor? I'm pretty sure its the spring.

Front driver - its been sagging for a while now, when left alone the wheel will tuck itself under the wheel flare. This doesn't happen all the time. So I bought a new air spring (not installed yet).

Now, both rears are sagging and the wheels are tucking under the flare. This happens all the time when left over night. So before I go and replace all air springs, could it be my compressors?

When the car is started, all 4 corners go back to normal height with no problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 AM

Default I would think if the car goes back to normal when you start it then

the compressor is working because it is inflating the air springs. I could be wrong. What about a ride height sensor or something like that going bad? I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Could be residual pressure valve in the valve block.But you definately have a bad front

spring.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Could be residual pressure valve in the valve block.But you definately have a bad front

My ar started sagging in left front. Getting new airshock and bump kit installed Monday. Now I notice all 4 corners are sagging. whats the problem. Do I need a new compressor? Is there a fuse or rely for the compressor that stops it from overheating ? Any one got pricing for a new compressor ?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little system explanantion....

The compressor does not raise and lower the car directly.

The compressor feed an air tank. Its in the driver's side storage well in the rear. The air tank is the supply to the system. It feeds directly to a distribution block that in turn feeds the air springs. Each spring has is own CAM-ARM Sensor/switch that clicks when it goes up or down. There are also level sensors in the ar that feed info to the systm's suspension ECU (module).

When you raise the car, the air is fed from the storage tank. When the storage tank gets to a certain lower PSI, then the compressor kicks in to refill the tank.

If you have a single corner that is lowering down over night, generally this is a leak in the airspring itself. If you have the entire front or just the rear lower itself over night then this could be the disribution manifold.

Based on the board and my faulty memory:

Air springs going bad individually or in pairs is the most common.

The distribution manifold going is a bit less common.

The Brain--ECU for the system is further down the scale.

Last of the problems is the compressor itself.

IIRC, there may have been two compressors blown in the past.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: A little system explanantion....

Thanks Paulroad.
Let me explain what is happening. A few days ago I noticed the left front side dwon. I consulted this board and the consenous was a bad airspring. I'm getting that fixed on Monday.

This moring as I was driving the level sensors in the dash were blinking and the air suspension warning light came on. I drove the few miles to work and noticed that all 4 sides were down. I let the car sit. A couple hours later the went to start the car and see if the airsprings would kick in, but they didn't

Any ideas ?
jjm
Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it could be the spring.....

it could also be the manifold feeding all the springs.

If you have a warranty or CPO or an extended then you are ok.
If not, I suggest you do not go to a dealer, but find a audi savy indy shop.

Dealers trained to scan and replace items, not repair them.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: it could be the spring.....

Yeah,
Ive got a great Audi guy. Life long friend.
Unfortunately, he doesn't know alot about allroad suspensions. That's why I'm asking all these stupid questions

Thanks again Paul.
joe
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not stupid...

it does take a bit of diagnosing and time.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Sounds to me like a bad air spring...

When mine went, (right front) it would slam the entire car when parked. The reason it does this I think is because of the leveling sensors. I could hear hissing out of the front air spring, and intermittent releases (adjustments) from the other corners of the car. Eventually the entire car ended up lowering itself.

Mine also didn't happen all the time - only when parked in or driven in level one. When parked in level two there was no leak. Either way, get it addressed quickly - you don't want to put undue stress on the compressor.

Quick Reply: Bad air spring or compressor, how can I tell?