Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Ball bearing turbo conversion for '01 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball bearing turbo conversion for '01 2.7T

Hey folks.

My girlfriend has an '01 allroad with 12xxxx miles on the clock, and wouldn't you know it, the turbos are about to go. Our mechanic had the car apart to replace the motor mounts and I asked him to check the turbos while he was there. Sure enough, there's some slop in the bearings. Not dead yet, but nearly there.

So when we replace, I'd like to get some ball bearing turbos in there. I don't like journal bearings, never have. I'm wondering if I'm the first person to want to do this. I know there are kits out there for the RS4 (034 Motorsport, for one, but that's just one), but I haven't seen any for the allroad.

Mind you, I don't want to go nuts. It's just a straight-across replacement. We're not turning up the boost, we don't have 3-inch downpipes (much as I would LOVE to do all that stuff, sadly, it isn't my car. ) I have my doubts about this car's transmission, and I don't want them confirmed any time soon.

What say all of you?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it an automatic? Then basically no. The TIP can handle about 350hp without something going wrong. You can upgrade the TIP, but it'll still only be able to so much.

If you want Ball Bearings you won't be able to find a K04/K03 housed ball bearing turbo unless you wanted one custom made. Contact EPL or USP or someone like that who's well known. It's not going to be price worthy.
Go K04's have them just turn down the boost.

I'd love the idea, but there is nothing cost effective for ball bearing turboes without needing a bottom end build.
The only ball bearing turbo kit I know of the TiAL 770R's and that kit is like $4500.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Up to about $4000 is okay, since that's about what it'll cost us for the OEM turbos.

We really don't want to go beyond about 350 anyhow, what with gas consumption and how much of a cast-iron bitch this car is to smog as it sits now.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
What with gas consumption and how much of a cast-iron bitch this car is to smog as it sits now.
lol I completely understand. See if you can get a custom one made because if you can't, you'll need a different exhaust manifold bolt pattern.

In theory it could work, but if you want to save some coin I'd go with these guys:
http://frankenturbo.com/new/F21BT.html

So far people like them but still not ball bearing.

Call up some of the big names and they'll probably talk you into OEM Borge Warner K04's.

Think, if K03's are working at 75% of their capacity their entire life, they are going to get tired faster than the K04's are going to because they are working at roughly 45% what they are capable of.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And what are some of the big names? I'm completely unfamiliar with VWAG cars. I'm motorcycle-only right now, and before that, Swedish steel (belonged to a Volvo and SAAB club called "Raging Moose").
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

club called "Raging Moose").
Sounds Canadian

I think he meant that if you call up any big name tuners, they will all try to sell the K04 turbos.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I think he meant that if you call up any big name tuners, they will all try to sell the K04 turbos.
Yeah, that's what I think will happen.

The only company I can think of MAY be... TiAL? Vast is out of business, but they'd be your best bet for a custom turbo.
Just go K04's, brother. Sorry.

Ask us where to buy them before you buy them.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Sounds Canadian
Volvo and SAAB historically used custom built moose crash test dummies in the safety evaluations of their cars.

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Ask us where to buy them before you buy them.
So...

Where do I buy them?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Volvo and SAAB historically used custom built moose crash test dummies in the safety evaluations of their cars.

So...

Where do I buy them?
Depends on what you want.
Do you want ball bearings? Shop around. lol
K04's? Proceed.

And yes! Saab did the moose test!