Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

best timing belt kit 2.7t AR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best timing belt kit 2.7t AR

Does anybody have advice on the best as far as quality when it comes to buying timing belt kit?? Any help would would be greatly appreciated...

Have an AR DAY!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out our timing belt kits available for the 2.7T

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default my advice and hints

I just did my timing belt job. Depending on how long its been since the last change you will want to by a more complete kit. I just got my AR 6 months ago with 98k on it, it was gonna be the first timing belt replacement, so I got the most complete kit that ECS Tuning, except the cam lock bar.

ECS has complete kits and so do a lot of other places, they are all comparably priced and have more or less the same parts. But thats your choice. ECS also listed the manufactures of each part.

Make sure you have a Bentley Manual if possible and there is a great guide on this site in the Tech Articles by RMcQ.
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml

Helpful hits from my experience probably replace the snub mount, if you do order the kit from ECS get extra coolant (I needed a bit more), and I got my Cam Lock bar for $60 on eBay.I tied the lock carrier to the roof rack with rope to help avoid stressing the lines and cables. Last thing, the Bentley manual shows lock carrier bolts you use to put the carrier into service position, your bumper bolts will fit in the threads and will hold the weight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camshaft-Ali...ht_3181wt_1252
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfirewalker
Does anybody have advice on the best as far as quality when it comes to buying timing belt kit?? Any help would would be greatly appreciated...

Have an AR DAY!!!
Only places that I know of that have complete kits are Blauparts and ECS tuning. Blau has nice instructions included and $35 timing belt tool rental. ECS has nicer part quality IMHO. My choice would be ECS and buy a Ebay camlock bar and cranklock pin. Do a search for TB service how to writeup or get Bentley manual. Either way do everything including seals and gaskets while your at it. Cheap and easy to do while your there instead of later.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the support!

Jason
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've used aftermarket kits on different Audi engines from all the major suppliers, and I've had premature failure of components from just about everyone. I had a tensioner roller bearing on a 4.2 from ECS go bad after about 10k miles. I've also had a water pump on a 2.8 from Blau go bad after 20k. Almost all of these aftermarket parts can be hit-or-miss, even if they're "OEM" they're still not Audi parts. You can piece together your own "kit" from different suppliers like Rockauto or Autohausaz, but you'll still be in the same boat.

These days I only use OE Audi-branded timing components purchased from a dealership. It's just not worth the risk anymore. With several dealerships selling online or over the phone at discounted rates, the cost really isn't that bad. In some places, unexpected failures are worth the risk, but not when it comes to timing components.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I used the Blaparts kit with the tool KIT rental. It is more than just the cam bar and crank pin, it also includes cam seal remover and set, crank seal remover (which I skipped) and maybe something else or two, been a year and a few beers ago.

You have 10 days on the tool rental, I was more like 14. I called and they said no worries.

Getting that last bit of slack out of the belt and getting in on the cam gear is a bi-ich. Good Luck!!

Cheers - GregAR
2001 2.7TIP - She ain't the Belle of the ball, but she'll still turn a head or two.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teutonix
I've used aftermarket kits on different Audi engines from all the major suppliers, and I've had premature failure of components from just about everyone.

These days I only use OE Audi-branded timing components purchased from a dealership. It's just not worth the risk anymore. With several dealerships selling online or over the phone at discounted rates, the cost really isn't that bad. In some places, unexpected failures are worth the risk, but not when it comes to timing components.
I usually buy these "important" items from Sunset Audi, which has an online store at audiusaparts dot com.