Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Best winter/all weather tires for the allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best winter/all weather tires for the allroad?

I just bought an 04 and it came with these summer continental tires. I live in Telluride, Co and the mountain roads really did a number on them in the first week! Now, the snow is flying and its getting pretty dangerous. Any suggestions on which winter tire to go with?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Best" depends on your needs. Some folks (myself included) are very happy with Hankook Icebears, ..

... others swear by Nokian WRs.

The search tool will help you do some research.<ul><li><a href="http://search.audiworld.com/search.html">http://search.audiworld.com/search.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-22-2007, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I lived in To-hell-u-ride, I would go with a dedicated snow. Either a Nokian or the Hankook...

Man for many many years I've wanted to hit the slopes of Telluride. My understanding is that a lot of vertical can be had in a short time.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: If I lived in T'hell-u-ride, I would go with a dedicated snow. Either a Nokian or the Hankook...

Yeah, there is alot of vertical here and the best part is that we have no lift lines! Well, maybe for first chair on a powder day but that is about it, The views are pretty spectacular too!!

Thanks for the recommendation on the tires. How much should I expect to pay for the hancooks or the nokians?

Come on out but be sure to do some lunges first!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 AM

Very Happy with my Dunlop M3's in Oregon
Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found this great deal in Chicago cragislist.....

I would pick these up if I was in the market for tires<ul><li><a href="http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/511223799.html">http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/511223799.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nokians are spendy. The Hankook Icebears are less expensive...

I bought my Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's on clearance and were like $2 less per tire than the Icebears (I think it was like $128 per), normally around $180. Just remember, none studded (on quattro). Snow in your area is generally very dry and traction normally good, so maybe a Nokian WR the WRG2 (all season) is I think a new design.
Yes I favor the Nokian, maybe a mindset that the Finns may know something about driving on snow and getting the traction required.

hint: start your responses in the subject field =)

Jon<ul><li><a href="http://nokiantires.com/en/about.aspx">Nokian</a></li></ul>
Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BEWARE anything but a dedicated snow in Telluride. Consider Blizzaks

Coming down from the mountain village with anything less than the best can cost a lot of bodywork.

I've never had a car / truck that had more trouble turning and stopping on slippery stuff. It goes like stink through a lot when under power. The binders are a different story. My all seasons are fine for the midwest, but I would not venture out there without something great.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As I said originally, I prefer dedicated snows (no sacrifice). Example...

My Volkl AC4's are a very good all mountain ski, stable, fast, a pleasure. However if I throw on a suit and helmet, blow out of the starting gate, skate as hard as I can, climb into a tuck, reach speeds of 80+ mph (which is a blast by the way) I would much rather be on 223cm boards. Wow, my heart is racing, been many years since those days. Ok I'll admit, most of the DH's I was in probably didn't get much over the 60-70 range.

Point being a dedicated product is always better at its designed performance target than one that can perform multiple tasks.

Sorry had to relate the story to snow somehow :-)
Old 12-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Default The last time I said this I got cruicified so go for it...for my "simple" needs I have found

that on ice and in snow...maybe not deep slush they are sticy enough to keep me shiny side up...on all ice (just for fun) they still stop the car straight and true in just a little bit longer distance than usual...that was amazing...today on muddy, nongravel-gravel (those of you who travel these know what I mean) road that was deep they were a little more squirmy than I would like but I don't travel those types of roads very often...had to give the old girl a bath at 25 degrees in the heated bay of a car wash though as she was waaayy muddy.

Quick Reply: Best winter/all weather tires for the allroad?