Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Better performance and MPG's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better performance and MPG's?

Ok, so I had my AR for about 6 months now, and I absolutley adore the thing, however, this gas is KILLING me. Before the remedy of "go buy a Civic then", is blurted out, I want to say that I do use the AR for a significant amount of lite offroading, fishing, kayaking, and other activities this car was built for. I've read some other forums and have not seen mention of the following mods for better MPG's and performance.

-Lightweight Wheels- I have the Double Decker wheels on my AR and contrary to what others say, I think theyre sexy, however I can not find a weight, but comparing them to all other Audi wheels, it's safe to say they weigh approx 26LBS+. With that said, I've found (2) wheels that weight 17lbs. Some simple math tells me that I could shave at least 36lbs of unsprung weight. Some say (1)lb of unsprung weight = (8)lbs of spung weight, other say it equals (4)lbs. Either way, there is alot of weight shaving that can be done, gas to be saved and performance to be had. Anyone with any experience on this subject?

-Secondly, VAG COM- Ive noticed my AR revs much differently than my 2000 A6 2.7T (which I got 30+mpg hwy). I hear that the VAG COM can be used to change RPMs. If RPMS can be changed, than gas can be saved right? Anyone with experience in this area also? Thank you all for any input.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vag com doesn't alter RPM's because speed is directly related to RPM's by the transmission.
The allroads gearing is crazy so your mpgs are going to suck. Deal with it.
IF you want to lose some weight, Forgestar makes light weight wheels, maybe fold in your mirrors or something, grab a higher 6th gear, and a carbon fiber drive shaft (yes, they make those for our car)
You could do all of that, spend about 5k, and still get some pretty awful MPG's...