Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The Bilstein Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the ride of (presumably new) OEM vs. the Bilsteins?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by trg
How is the ride of (presumably new) OEM vs. the Bilsteins?
People say the ride is the same. Bilstein is just a replacement for stock shock, the version arnott is using is a standard version, not HD or otherwise any of the improved shocks bilstein carry.

The worst part is that the shock was designed for lighter car, Audi A6, which has a nasty side effect of it not being able to dampen heavier load of allroad as effectively as A6's resulting in not-so-sporty feel.

However, seeing that quite a sew bilsteins blew a seal and they became befacto useless as far a shock function goes, one could say that OEM are much better in that respect.

Last time I disassembled my struts, I found substantial amounts of hydraulic fluid coating the shock so I think I am also a victim of blown seal.

Last edited by thejulex; 02-22-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say that I have felt any improvement. I have snow tires on the car so I'm not pushing it. The original shocks were fine, but I wanted some handling improvement to I went to the Bilsteins. It was not worth the aggravation and now the additional, not needed expense of OEM shocks. The indy that did the shocks for me will not be recommending them and if someone wants them, they will have to agree to pay all repair labor involved as Arnott not Bilstein will reimburse which means my indy lost money on this deal too.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wondering if I could get some input from users of front GenII / Bilsteins with OEM rear: recently I installed this front combo and find the ride is very rough. Expected a tight response up front, but is the combination with OEM rear a real downer or what? All driving is in the Green Mountains here in VT, and the roads are heaved and beaten up more than most, but based on previous winters' driving in this car I'd say these new springs/shocks are beatin' the hell out of me. Is my next best move to put Bilsteins on the rear to compensate? (Almost forgot: got some clunking up front too.)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mudder
Wondering if I could get some input from users of front GenII / Bilsteins with OEM rear: recently I installed this front combo and find the ride is very rough. Expected a tight response up front, but is the combination with OEM rear a real downer or what? All driving is in the Green Mountains here in VT, and the roads are heaved and beaten up more than most, but based on previous winters' driving in this car I'd say these new springs/shocks are beatin' the hell out of me. Is my next best move to put Bilsteins on the rear to compensate? (Almost forgot: got some clunking up front too.)
My indy recommends that GEN2 bags should always run with Bilsteins and do all 4 corners at once. It throws off the balance of the car if not done.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by change2E85
My indy recommends that GEN2 bags should always run with Bilsteins and do all 4 corners at once. It throws off the balance of the car if not done.
Have you gone back to stock air bags too or is it just the shocks? I was wondering if you are now using oem shocks with gen 11 was there anything needed or does the oem shock slide straight in.
ben
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by change2E85
Understood. How about Bilstein shocks on the rear (without Gen II rear)? 4 corners in Bilsteins may be all I can afford right now, and as rear oem bags are fine, would this be enough to even out my ride? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

My indy recommends GEN2 on all 4 corners at once.

I have GEN1 in the front. Did not want to pay to replace the rears as they work just fine so adding the Bilstiens was the solution to improve performance.

I'm quite happy now that I have Gen1 and OEM audi shocks up front.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

alignment did not help at all

has anyone found a fix?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes.. Has this been fixed or the problem discovered?

I was about to order the Gen 2 springs, and since mt AR has 135K miles on it, it's about time for the shocks to be replaced as well. The Bilsteins sounded like a good idea, but this clunk issue -- if it still exists -- might make me just get another set of OEM shocks?

Have there been any new developments on this?

Quick Reply: The Bilstein Clunk