Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Blinking Brake Light with other dash lights on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking Brake Light with other dash lights on.

I can't believe I am posting again so soon.

So, this morning my ABS, ESP and brake light come on, then soon after, the suspension light comes on and the brake light starts flashing. Brake fluid is full, and I'm sure it's not the brake light switch as it has recently been replaced and the brake lights work.

I don't have a way to read codes on the car, but from what I have read online, it sounds like it could be the ABS control module.

Has anyone had this happen to them and have it be something other than the ABS control module?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onbelay

So, this morning my ABS, ESP and brake light come on, then soon after, the suspension light comes on and the brake light starts flashing. Brake fluid is full, and I'm sure it's not the brake light switch as it has recently been replaced and the brake lights work.

I don't have a way to read codes on the car, but from what I have read online, it sounds like it could be the ABS control module.

Has anyone had this happen to them and have it be something other than the ABS control module?
Likely a faulty ABS sensor. Need to scan anyway, so figure out a way to do it. One option is to spend $250 on Ross-Tech software.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your response. I just heard back from the mechanic and it is the ABS control module, plus a list of other things that need to be fixed, like the exhaust gas temp. sensor, air ride suspension level control, secondary air injection system, blah, blah blah. Another 5 grand added to the 5 grand we have put in it the last year-and-a-half.

Goodbye Allroad, too bad you were so beautiful and fun to drive, because you are a pain-in-the-***. I don't know how I can sell it like this...
Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your response. I just heard back from the mechanic and it is the ABS control module, plus a list of other things that need to be fixed, like the exhaust gas temp. sensor, air ride suspension level control, secondary air injection system, blah, blah blah. Another 5 grand added to the 5 grand we have put in it the last year-and-a-half.

Goodbye Allroad, too bad you were so beautiful and fun to drive, because you are a pain-in-the-***. I don't know how I can sell it like this...

Ok, hold on a second. First of all, really too bad about how much money you sunk in, but second, I am sure there is a much cheaper way to fix all your problems.

Did you know that repairing your ABS module can be done for $180? If you can spend 45 minutes taking it off yourself (not hard to do, there are detailed instructions and possibly a video), that is all it will cost you.

As for the EGT (exhaust gas temp sensor), it is a common failure. Don't know what prices he quoted, but ECS Tuning sells both for $420 or so. Then about 1.5 hours of labour for your mechanic.

Or, you can spend $45 and get EGT bungs that emulate EGT signal and will get rid of the codes. Many people have done this or coded them out completely (may not be possible to code out if your state has stricter emissions).

And the error code for the air suspension control module is likely due to a tired and / or shot compressor. Worst case, buy it for $400 from Arnott, or buy a compressor repair kit for $60 from bigpipingandy.

What you should do is provide a list of codes that the mechanic scanned. He quoted you some steep figures, so let's see what we can do here.

Edit: my guess is that everything can be addressed for under $2Kwith some labour from your mechanic.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 05-31-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, we were discussing last night whether we wanted this car to be our do-it-yourself car as I don't think we could sell it like this. We get the codes on Monday, I'll post them to you then and get your opinion.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest before dispersing money Check the brake pads (Front)
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Brake pads are good.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake peds

Brake pads are good.
Are you testing the pads by eye or with a scanner?
There are two sensors in the Front pads . Marking the end of service life. Whether one sensor marks the end of service life then brake lamp lights up on the dash. Whether the two sensors marking the end of service life. Then you will get alerts in the ABS\ESP And height control system
The end of the service life of the pads front sensor is indicated by half the thickness of the brake material. five millimeters of the pad metal base
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amiram
Are you testing the pads by eye or with a scanner?
There are two sensors in the Front pads . Marking the end of service life. Whether one sensor marks the end of service life then brake lamp lights up on the dash. Whether the two sensors marking the end of service life. Then you will get alerts in the ABS\ESP And height control system
The end of the service life of the pads front sensor is indicated by half the thickness of the brake material. five millimeters of the pad metal base

Hmm, I'm not sure! This is something I will have to ask the mechanic. I wish I had read this yesterday as we just got the car back tonight. Dang. I will have to give him a call tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, I got the car back today and picked up the printout of codes he found. There seem to be several.

Let me know if I'm not listing the info right.

01772 - Signal from level control pressure sensor (G291)
27-10 implausible signal - intermittent
01316 - ABS control module
79-10 - please check fault codes - intermittent
01316 - ABS control module

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
P1453-35-10 Open or short to Plus
17865 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236)
P1457-32-10 Open or short to plus - intermittent
16815 - Warm up Catalyst; Bank 2
P0431-32-10 Efficiency Below Threshold - intermittent
18032 - MIL Request signal active (check TCM for errors too)
P1624-35-00
17965 - Charge Pressure control
P1557-35-00 Positive Deviation
17831 - Secondary air Injections System; Bank 1
P1423-35-00

00276 - ABS Outlet Valve; Left Rear (N136)
35-10 intermittent
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 intermittent
35-10 intermittent