Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

both key fobs stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Projekt 8E
If you don't mind...what did it run you to get the work done from the locksmith?
$45
Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
$45
oh, I should do that. I thought it would be 3MM since I have an A8.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default still no luck

Also, did you just do the re-recognition programming in the manual or did you do the full programming:

The previous FAQ entry on this item had some mistakes (and it confused the hell out of me) so I decided to make it a bit more user-friendly and add a few tips and pointers.

I'd imagine these directions will work on any A4/S4 with the "switchblade" keys. If you own a TT, A6, or A8 with these keys, try and see if the directions below work, and e-mail me your results.

These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this.

You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.

If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.
i followed these steps word for word a few times from start to finish and NOTHING. no flashes or anything. fresh batteries in both fobs didn't help at all. anyone know if there's a fuse for the remote fob receiver in the fuse box? other ideas?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djtnut
i followed these steps word for word a few times from start to finish and NOTHING. no flashes or anything. fresh batteries in both fobs didn't help at all. anyone know if there's a fuse for the remote fob receiver in the fuse box? other ideas?
I have a Bentley manual for the a6/allroad and I am not seeing there is one. There is an alarm system and keyless entry antenna in the rear bumper that could be the culprit?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a Bentley manual for the a6/allroad and I am not seeing there is one. There is an alarm system and keyless entry antenna in the rear bumper that could be the culprit?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

hmm this is probably over my head. i guess I'll have to bring it in to have it looked at by someone a lot smarter than me. should i try an indy mechanic first or just go to the dealer?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked

Did the lights of anything flash or lock when you did this step?

If not then its probably not a programming issue. I personally would go to the dealer on this one, but others might have a different idea or recommendation.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.audi-forums.com/c5-forum/...ng-system.html
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did the lights of anything flash or lock when you did this step?

If not then its probably not a programming issue. I personally would go to the dealer on this one, but others might have a different idea or recommendation.
No they did not flash at all. I've tried this procedure 10+ times and nothing seems to work. I was at an auto parts store today and they had a FOB tester where you press the button near the tester and an LED lights up if it detects IR or RF (should be RF in this case) but it didn't do anything either. I have brand new batteries in both FOBs which we tested fresh out of the package. I've heard that these key fob testers at auto parts stores don't test fobs for many european cars because they have rolling codes.

I'm at a total loss. I called my indy mechanic today and they're going to do some research and get back to me with recommendations too.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure why the tester wouldnt work on your key fob. I wonder if by some chance, you got a set of bad batteries. Have you tested them with a multimeter? What year is your A8 as I can test my 2001 key at Autozone tomorrow or I have a 2009 A8L key I can test to and I will see if they work if you want.

Quick Reply: both key fobs stopped working