Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>

I replaced the OEM brakes last May with Zimmerman (solid, not slotted or cross drilled) and new pads (they couldn't tell me which ones)...this is at my indy that up until now has done an ok job...now less than 4 months later when I took it in to look at the brakes due to grabbing and shuttering they said they were "warped" so they "cleaned" them...it did nothing, so they replaced the brakes and the pads (they said they were Zimmerman pads too), I specifically asked about the bedding procedure and was assured it would be done correctly, I even offered to do it...picked it up (are you counting trips yet?) and they had not been bedded correctly as the pads were "off" again the shuttering and grabbing and I took it back, it was also now squealing like a Metro bus...they roughed up the pads, used anti-squeal (they say and also said they read Audi's directions on bedding the pads...duh, why not the two/three times before) and rebedded the pads...not too bad coming home, but the next day squealing, grabbing and dragging to the point of huge vibration at highway speed and feeling like something is dragging at all speeds. Now before you suggest a new indy, remember that almost no one here works on these cars (although I'm thinking in this situation I'd have done better to have my local (not in the city) tire guy do the brakes and I bed them)...any suggestions for what I can tell these guys to try to get this corrected?

A little vibration will be expected as I had to replace a front tire (had it road force balanced and before the last brake issue had it pretty smooth...will be getting four new in the next month, so some vibration is acceptable) two weeks ago. Thanks in advance and I have read about brakes, pads and bedding until my eyes (not the pads) have glazed over.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>

Take a look at Bonza's post it might shine some light on the situation.

FWIW I have 40K on mintex readbox with cut stock rotors and haven't had an issue. I did have a slight vibration but it went away when I did a brake fluid flush.

One last thing, make sure the indi is using a torque wrench to tighten your wheels and not a air wrench with a torque stick. If your wheels aren't properly torqued the rotors will warp..<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/165083.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/165083.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 AM

Thx. Yes, I got out the torque wrench and check them myself after each time in.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do jack up the car when checking??
Old 09-29-2006, 05:32 AM

Default I don't see where to find the PR number for the brakes? Sorry if I missed it but if someone knows

TIA
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 AM

Found 1LX on warranty voucher in maintenance book, not labeled but assume that is it.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's it...I am still having "muni bus" problems with my brakes.

After doing more research than I care to admit, I have determined that the MDB2358 is the superceded part number to the MDB2120. Thus, not really sure what the differerence would make given that the MDB 2120's were sold for quite some time before the 2358's came out.

I have tried re-bedding with the Stoptech procedure. The noise seems to go away after doing this, but only for a day, then it is right back. I suspect that it has do do with the Mintex/Zimmerman combo. I'm wondering if the Mintex pad is glazing or otherwise leaving deposits on the disks during normal driving that get "toasted" off when I go thru the bed-in procedure. I'm so fed up, I just ordered some EBC Greestuffs for the front to give them a try.

Not sure what you are running pad-wise. I was unaware that Zimmerman made pads, I thought only disks.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM

Default I've done this for 20 years and bedding consisits of a 5 minute trip

around the block. I have never had any problems. Sounds as though you may have something else going on. I have had some vibration problems with Mintex, at lower speeds but I'm happy with then otherwise.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 AM

Default I thought that too, that's why I'm having problems even getting correct info from them

they were glazed over the last time and they had to rough them up to put them back on, but I too had the squeal back after a day.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If Mintex pads, do you have MDB2120 or 2358?

Quick Reply: Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>