Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill the Squeal forever by doing the following:

I have found that the brakes on the allroad and S4s that have the 4 pads per caliper will stop squealing if the LEADING edge of the pads are given a bevel. You can bevel the edge on a bench grinder. After that, no more noise.

Of course it is assumed that the back of the pads either have teflon backing shims or have a good coating of CRC Disc Brake Quiet on them, and the metal to metal contacts between the pad and the caliper have break grease on them as well.

Try beveling the pads, you will like it.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Ok then, a question...

first of all Sam you're too far away, unfortunately, but if I don't find someone competent here I'm going to have to get rid of the car...

if you were looking at someone's car for a problem with braking and a vibration and you had gone to the trouble to replace the brakes, wouldn't you in the process have evaluated the calipers and all attendant parts to see if they were all ok before replacing the brakes/pads? I have a pretty comprehensive warranty and they know that as well, so it just seems strange that they wouldn't have evaluated other things, either first, or at least in addition to the brake issue. I always thank you for your input and pray that you move to Iowa
Old 09-29-2006, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my .02....

Who does this, really is not important. I have my brakes done at my local EXXON station..8 bays and packed with all kinds of cars.

I purchase the parts online and drop them with the allroad. In my case Zimmerman OEM Style rotors and Mintex Redbox Pads. (While I was not initially thrilled with the Mintex 100%, some noise and dust. Now after 20K miles they are still strong and quiet.)

I do my own 'bed in' as written up in the Stoptech website.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you know if your Mintex's are 2120's or 2358's?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Default I definitely will do this from now on...it is just that I am into this indy as they

started all of this last May (these are the brakes many of you got from your dealers at your 50k, but in non-Audi land we get nada...but I disgress)...I assumed it was something someone remotely familiar with the car would need to do...now my local tire/repair shop whom I know the owner well and trust will do all of my non-Audi work...I just wished I had had him do it from the beginning but I am still learning...it's like there are three layers of workers needed for this car..the dealer for warranty and stuff that only they have the tools for, a good German-car indy and your local tool guy to do the rest (for most of you layers 2 and 3 are done by yourselves....I don't have the time, strength or tools to do it, reasonably smart, but doesn't cut it here my husband has washed his hands of working on cars as he got enough of that in the old muscle car days and has resorted to autos as dare I say, transportation only (I am embarassed for him of course...so here I am...lousy dealers, questionable indy and some local guys I could probably direct well on days I have the time...thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on whose pads they put on
Old 09-29-2006, 09:06 AM

Default This was the part number my indy gave me 4B3698151 not sure if this is the Audi part

number or what...do you happen to know? TIA
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What's proper procedure? Can one loosen and retorque the lugs on the ground?

Must the wheel be in the air, and why? Either the wheel hangs on the lugs or the lugs rest on the wheel, right?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 AM

I would like to know too as I do it on the ground, but never go over 89??
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's the OEM #

Quick Reply: Are the brakes on this car really that hard to get correct? Need suggestions>>